What's new

Safe Deposit Box

khpony

Sr. Member
Joined
May 29, 2006
Messages
308
Reaction score
72
Golden Thread
0
Location
Rociada, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, AM Recon Sluice, Technetics Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I've been told that it's against the law to have more than $10,000 cash in a safe deposit box. (coins excluded) In other words if a bank is closed, for any reason, and you go in to retrieve your safe deposit box items, that you'll be escorted and that anything over $10,000 in cash they can take from you. Just curious if anyone has heard or has knowledge of this.
 
I'm pretty sure that this is not true. You may be asked to produce income records or explain why its there, but I dont see how they can take it. I do know you must declare cash above $10000 when coming back into the states. I've read of a few pro poker players that had several thousands confiscated by customs until they proved how they recieved it... But I don't thunk they could take it just because you had it in a safe deposit... But I could be wrong.
 
No buddy gets to look in your box but you , when you die your heir gets it the bank can,t look in it , unless they get a court order !

Jonnie
 
I'm referring to the law. It's my understanding that it's against the law to have more than $10K in the box. Just curious if anyone else had heard it.
 
One way to find out ... Go to your bank and ask them......... That is the best way to find a true answer to your question.............All you have to do is call your bank you don't even have to go in.......... It is faster than asking here............
 
i use a safety deposit box and they always let me go into a room alone to open it...So no one can see what is in there and have no way of knowing what is in there unless u tell them
 
CWnut said:
i use a safety deposit box and they always let me go into a room alone to open it...So no one can see what is in there and have no way of knowing what is in there unless u tell them
That's true ................. But the only way for him to get the answer to his question is to ask his bank................
 
In this difficult economy if I had ten thou anywhere it would have to be stolen! Monty
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom