What's new

Salt water silver from the other day

That's some corroded silver, Casper-2. Are you going to try cleaning then using electrolysis?
 
That's some corroded silver, Casper-2. Are you going to try cleaning then using electrolysis?
those are as found - usually they come out 10 times worse = caked
but sand is different in this spot - except for the left sil.band - those might clean up with just some baking soda and water
but I don't bother any more - most all my common silver goes into a display glass topped coffee table - that way people can see how different sands and soils
turn them
but I used to use electrolysis yrs ago
 
those are as found - usually they come out 10 times worse = caked
but sand is different in this spot - except for the left sil.band - those might clean up with just some baking soda and water
but I don't bother any more - most all my common silver goes into a display glass topped coffee table - that way people can see how different sands and soils
turn them
but I used to use electrolysis yrs ago
Agreed, don't look too bad for saltwater.
I like your idea of keeping them 'as is' for comparison.
 
If I have one that's a little special - may clean alittle so people can see better
but the common stuff - I have enough of them cleaned - fresh water silver and land ones don't come out that bad
ocean ones come out caked - blackened - grey - different shades of brown - used to have a place that made them come out
a purple color - the really caked ones when electrolysis is used - will some times come out so thin you can shave with them

with jewelry - unless they are fresh drops with slight tarnish - for the most part they aren't gonna clean good enough for someone to wear
or to sell as jewelry - they will go in a display if real old or cool - if not they get scrapped nowadays

Agreed, don't look too bad for saltwater.
I like your idea of keeping them 'as is' for comparison.
 
here's a crusty half from last year - its most likely a walking liberty - no use cleaning - spot where I get coins like this
after cleaning they are about a third what they are supposed to be
this one was cool with shell stuck to it - so left as is
attachment.php
 
Love your crusty finds! Mine are black but not crusty. That half is awesome. I would leave it also. Like you I never clean my silver. I just hoard it. Looks like you have a nice old area also. Good luck on getting your coil over some yellow stuff. NOT including brass.
 
99% of my silver coins are from land hunts. Most silver coins from the surf will come out pitted from being tumbled and black from being in salt water.
Congrats on your finds.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom