Delduck

Tenderfoot
Mar 4, 2020
Delaware
Detector(s) used
None yet
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trying to buy my wife a metal detector that she can use when she takes the boat out to the sandbars the water is salt and we’re only in 6”-3’ of water. We have never had one before but prefer not to buy junk. I was told to get a garret AT max, then on a fishing forum someone suggested I ask here. I read a little about how someone said the minelab fbs was better than the Garret so now I don’t know which way to buy. Looking on line the reviews are good for the garret, but they tell me this forum is people that will know. not run of the mill people. So if I can get some help I would appreciate it. Trying to buy something within 10 days. Her birthday is coming up. Newcomer to the site so if I put this in the wrong place then I apologize. Thank you in advance.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome! Garrett AT Max is HORRIBLE in saltwater or wet saltwater sand because it is a single-frequency machine. Look at the Minelab Equinox 600

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Welcome! Garrett AT Max is HORRIBLE in saltwater or wet saltwater sand because it is a single-frequency machine. Look at the Minelab Equinox 600

I agree with Terry 100%. Saltwater hunting is my life and I wouldn't think of using the AT Max in such environments. I've tested Garret machines at the beach for Kellyco and yes, although they are waterproof, in order to stabilize them in saltwater, the sensitivity must be reduced to such an extent that depth is severely limited.

Set your sights on Minelab multi-frequency machines or a Pulse Induction detector. I would suggest you take a hard look at the Equinox as Terry recommends. It's very affordable, easy to use for a beginner, very well suited to saltwater environments, waterproof to 10 ft. and comes with a 3 year warranty.

Just the salty view from my foxhole....

Last edited:

islamoradamark

Silver Member
Aug 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MINELAB THE TOP OF THE LINE ONE WOULD be a x-cal 100% WATERPROOF

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Delduck

Tenderfoot
Mar 4, 2020
Delaware
Detector(s) used
None yet
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for your quick responses. So I’m going to order the 600 as suggested is there a package that I should get and do you have a recommendation on who or where to buy from. I see it on amazon but if you guys say I should order threw a metal detector supply company than Please let me know. It doesn’t bother me from whom I buy from just trying to get the best product. Thanks again I’m amazed at the quick responses.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
I agree with the EQ600 and call supporting vendors on this site. CALL, don't just go to their website, for the BEST deal.

teleprospector

Silver Member
Jul 8, 2007
The Motor City
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Extended Sensory Perception, L-rod, Y-rod, pendulum, angle rods, wand.
White's MXT, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, AT Gold, SCUBA Detector Pro Headhunter, Tesoro Sidewinder, Stingray, 2 box-TF900, Fisher TW-6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for your quick responses. So I’m going to order the 600 as suggested is there a package that I should get and do you have a recommendation on who or where to buy from. I see it on amazon but if you guys say I should order threw a metal detector supply company than Please let me know. It doesn’t bother me from whom I buy from just trying to get the best product. Thanks again I’m amazed at the quick responses.

If you can go to the nearest dealer. Equinox 600 is a great all purpose machine you and the family will really enjoy it. BUY the underwater headphones even if they don't come with the machine, you're gonna want those even if you are not totally underwater, even the 3' depth you are saying you are at will ruin the normal phones if they get wet. Your gonna want a pinpointer too for land hunting. Buy a sand scoop with long handle. The Garret AT series are good but not for saltwater/salt sand, but the dry sand on a saltwater beach they are ok, fresh water they are ok but under the water they are terribly buoyant, I have to have small weights on them. I've heard dicey reports of the whites mx sport doing ok in the salt.
Jon 8-) :cat: :occasion14: :headbang:

Last edited:

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting