sand scoop home made for hawaii trip..........

Rcnm

Jul 22, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
modified sand scoop for hawaii trip..........

IMG_2639.jpg IMG_2640.jpg IMG_2641.jpg IMG_2642.jpg IMG_2644.jpg

prior to going to maui for a week of r & r, i wanted to get a sand scoop but the ones with handles available kinda put me off due to price. seeing how others hade made from pvc and such i didnt like the looks and thought maybe the attached handles wouldnt hold up. so i came up with the following.
so, i got a garrett sand scoop from local cabelas and drilled a couple holes in the handle (see photo).
the extension rod is from lowes, painting extension rod about $20.00. as you can see in the photo, i removed the push button and drilled holes through to the sliding part (aluminum) and attached with miscellaneous bolts and nuts. i also drilled holes to attach to the scoop handle. this setup is solid. i used it in wet heavy sand and dry sand. i had no issues whatsoever. i am pleased and will use again when i return to maui (nothing found to write home about, just the usual change definitely not enough to cover the tip).

P.S. the equinox 800 ran quiet as a kitten, no issues with black sand in different areas of the island. loving the machine, still a rookie with it for sure.

Last edited:

midalake

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad it worked well. In my hands that scoop might not last one day. My battle worn welded, and re-welded scoops looks like they have been through wars.

Dave

OP
OP
R

Rcnm

Jul 22, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only have been going once a year to hawaii, and this is the 1st time i used it. i had just a plain plastic trowel i had used before the last 2 times and that was a chore. this worked well so hopefully it will last me. ill have welded as needed when the time comes if that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions