What's new

Sand Scoop

Smudge

Bronze Member
Joined
Jul 9, 2010
Messages
1,532
Reaction score
44
Golden Thread
0
Location
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm looking at sand scoops and wonder if anyone has a brand they particularly like. Also, what size is it?

The sand scoop I have right now is less than 8" wide and it is stainless steel, but I'm working pretty hard to get my deeper targets and figure there is probably a better tool out there.

I'm also going to attach a magnet to to the back for small targets.
 
Upvote 0
I've tried others and am partial to the Sunspot Stealth in the bigger size. http://www.gold-scoop.com/

What I like about it is the wood handle that floats and the rounded bottom helps hold it upright. It takes a big bite out of the sand but sometimes I wish it had a looped handle like the Old time Miller scoop. Now if the Miller had the holes of the Sunspot everyone would want one. The Diamond Head is nice and some others, you just have to get used to which ever one you get as there is no one best scoop.
 

Attachments

  • Sunspot Stealth.webp
    Sunspot Stealth.webp
    11.5 KB · Views: 3,346
  • Sunspot Stealth.webp
    Sunspot Stealth.webp
    11.5 KB · Views: 3,182
Thanks for the input Sandman. I was looking at that one as well.
 
I bought a nice one from someone on this forum but can't remember who it was now. Mine is stainless steel with an aluminum handle. OK, who ever it was please step up and admit it! M :wink: nty
 
From a scoop junkie

My advice is to check out the Local's, Check n See what they are using, What works the best where your going to hunt with your hunting style. I have several scoops, most would work at any beach but when I head out, the beach I'm headed to I will pull the one that works the best at that beach, which can be a difference of night n day in the performance.
 

Attachments

  • DSC_4655.webp
    DSC_4655.webp
    64.5 KB · Views: 2,019
That's quite a collection.
 

Attachments

  • 3brataRR.webp
    3brataRR.webp
    75.4 KB · Views: 2,977
  • 3brataRR.webp
    3brataRR.webp
    75.4 KB · Views: 3,409
I forgot to add: The one I got can be unscrewed at the bottom, and remove most of the pole with about a foot long handle. That makes for an excellent beach scoop that is easy to carry. Monty
 
Re: From a scoop junkie

OldeBeechnut said:
My advice is to check out the Local's, Check n See what they are using, What works the best where your going to hunt with your hunting style. I have several scoops, most would work at any beach but when I head out, the beach I'm headed to I will pull the one that works the best at that beach, which can be a difference of night n day in the performance.


That Miller style scoop looks a bit familiar..... :wave: :wave:




I stopped by the machine shop that makes the Sunspot this afternoon. They had the larger scoops in, but they said it'll be a week or so before they have more of the 6.5" scoops ready. I have not had the chance to try one out in the sand, but they are built like a tank, yet seem surprisingly light considering the size and material. :icon_thumleft:
 
new models my scoops...
 

Attachments

  • Monstrik-6E.webp
    Monstrik-6E.webp
    148.9 KB · Views: 1,369
  • monstrik-10.webp
    monstrik-10.webp
    175.7 KB · Views: 1,177
  • Monstrik-9E.webp
    Monstrik-9E.webp
    135.9 KB · Views: 1,144
  • Monstrik-6E.webp
    Monstrik-6E.webp
    148.9 KB · Views: 1,113
  • monstrik-10.webp
    monstrik-10.webp
    175.7 KB · Views: 1,093
  • evroex v22.webp
    evroex v22.webp
    181.7 KB · Views: 1,141
Great Scoop Overall

Hands down the best for the small stuff. Comes in 2 sizes and is made in the USA.
Has wooden handle that floats when released & a retrifittable adjustable angle handle bracket is being tested for release soon.
I've tried several and this one works best for me.

Steve :-)
 

Attachments

  • FRB Volume in Pro Scoop.webp
    FRB Volume in Pro Scoop.webp
    28.7 KB · Views: 1,048
  • belly of the beast resized Rev C.webp
    belly of the beast resized Rev C.webp
    113.5 KB · Views: 1,118
  • TINYWK2.webp
    TINYWK2.webp
    48.8 KB · Views: 1,374
  • STUDS720.webp
    STUDS720.webp
    53.1 KB · Views: 1,081
  • front quartering view F250 parked on Rev C. resized.webp
    front quartering view F250 parked on Rev C. resized.webp
    93.4 KB · Views: 1,092
  • belly of the beast resized Rev C.webp
    belly of the beast resized Rev C.webp
    113.5 KB · Views: 1,067
  • FRB Volume in Pro Scoop.webp
    FRB Volume in Pro Scoop.webp
    28.7 KB · Views: 1,025
  • TINYWK2.webp
    TINYWK2.webp
    48.8 KB · Views: 1,133
  • STUDS720.webp
    STUDS720.webp
    53.1 KB · Views: 1,083
  • front quartering view F250 parked on Rev C. resized.webp
    front quartering view F250 parked on Rev C. resized.webp
    93.4 KB · Views: 1,064
And who makes that one Kaptainkosmic? The belly of the beast one. I have a RTG all stainless 6", but really like the Sunspot 8". The bigger the better.
 
The best scoop is the one you make yourself.


Veg.
 

Attachments

  • 000_0865.webp
    000_0865.webp
    52.1 KB · Views: 947
  • 000_0866.webp
    000_0866.webp
    49 KB · Views: 1,005
  • 000_0864.webp
    000_0864.webp
    61.8 KB · Views: 966
  • 000_0860.webp
    000_0860.webp
    52.5 KB · Views: 981
  • 000_0858.webp
    000_0858.webp
    50.2 KB · Views: 939
  • 000_0861.webp
    000_0861.webp
    51.9 KB · Views: 961
  • 000_0862.webp
    000_0862.webp
    66.2 KB · Views: 977
  • 000_0865.webp
    000_0865.webp
    52.1 KB · Views: 931
  • 000_0866.webp
    000_0866.webp
    49 KB · Views: 955
  • 000_0861.webp
    000_0861.webp
    51.9 KB · Views: 944
  • 000_0862.webp
    000_0862.webp
    66.2 KB · Views: 954
  • 000_0864.webp
    000_0864.webp
    61.8 KB · Views: 967
  • 000_0860.webp
    000_0860.webp
    52.5 KB · Views: 964
  • 000_0858.webp
    000_0858.webp
    50.2 KB · Views: 931
Re: Great Scoop Overall

kaptainkosmic said:
Hands down the best for the small stuff. Comes in 2 sizes and is made in the USA.
Has wooden handle that floats when released & a retrifittable adjustable angle handle bracket is being tested for release soon.
I've tried several and this one works best for me.

Steve :-)
I agree. Made in AMERICA.
 
If you want the cheapest method, you could do what I did. Buy a metal handheld scoop, and bolt a piece of wood into it.
 
Here is a pic of the smaller Sunspot Stealth which I have epoxied two earth magnets just back from the smaller holes to stop smaller items from having a chance to reach the larger holes. Note the small earring stud in front of the magnets.

To have small holes all over will work fine where there is just sand, but add some rocks and shells any you have extra work. I think the wood handle works nice as I raise the scoop in short hops with my hand. The angled handles are harder on your wrists. The use of a wood handle allows the scoop to float upright. Never teather the scoop to you for safety.

http://www.gold-scoop.com/thescoop.html
 

Attachments

  • Nikon2_025 (2).webp
    Nikon2_025 (2).webp
    108 KB · Views: 762
  • Nikon2_025 (2).webp
    Nikon2_025 (2).webp
    108 KB · Views: 771
I like the home made ones that you can fab up for your conditions.
Has any one made one with a foot assist for digging in the hard stuff?
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom