Sand Shark sweep speed

therover

Feb 23, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
CZ6a (2),Infinium, E-Trac,CZ20, X5, CZ20,X-Terra 705, Treasure Baron Goldtrax, XL-Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Can anyone tell me what the optimal sweep speed would be on the Sand Shark. Is it a slower sweep speed PI or can you sweep it moderately fast ?

Reason I am asking is I am thinking of getting one with the 8 inch coil. I am more concerned about sensitivity and target separation when sweeping moderate to fast.

I had the HH PI and it was a great machine but I had to sweep really slow to get optimal performance. With the 11 inch coil, you had to sweep very slowly. I ended up getting the 8 inch coil which was much better in terms of sweeping faster and pin pointing. I had to sell the HH due to finances, but I am back in the market and now looking at the Sand Shark.

Also, how is the pinpointing on the SS ? I would think with the smaller coil it would be good.

One last thing...is the pulse width adjustment a pps ( frequency) adjustment or a pulse delay adjustment. I seem to think the SS is set at about 15uS and the pulse width is more of a frequency adjustment.

Thanks

JC

Adrian SS

Dec 7, 2008
Canberra
Detector(s) used
LST, BDHI,Infinium,Sov XS,6000DI Pro SL,Scorpion,V-SAT,Spectrum XLT,Gold Spear,Scorpion,Sand Shark, Compadre,Sierra Madre,Safari, SDC2300, Sea Hunter,CS4PI,TDI OZ Pro, Vallon VMH3CS. Gardiner 202A
Primary Interest:
HI JC,
The easiest way to find out what the best sweep speed is for the Sand Shark is to bench test several targets of different type and size metal by scanning them across the coil at at different speeds and distances and noting the response and by adjusting the pulse width control in small increments throughout the entire range for each target type you will then find out the best settings and sweep speed for various targets and metals.
Not all PI detectors have to be swept at a very slow speed such as the Infinium. I have a 30 year old PI that I can swing almost as fast as my Sovereign XS.
Cheers,
jackinthebox

OP
OP
therover

therover

Feb 23, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
CZ6a (2),Infinium, E-Trac,CZ20, X5, CZ20,X-Terra 705, Treasure Baron Goldtrax, XL-Pro
Primary Interest:
Thanks jackinthebox. I think when I get one, I am going to bury are few different targets in the wet sand and try that out after bench testing.

Seems the pulse width adjustment feature helps with tweaking the machine.

JC

Adrian SS

Dec 7, 2008
Canberra
Detector(s) used
LST, BDHI,Infinium,Sov XS,6000DI Pro SL,Scorpion,V-SAT,Spectrum XLT,Gold Spear,Scorpion,Sand Shark, Compadre,Sierra Madre,Safari, SDC2300, Sea Hunter,CS4PI,TDI OZ Pro, Vallon VMH3CS. Gardiner 202A
Primary Interest:
HI therover,
The pulse width control on the Sand Shark adjusts the the length of time the transmitted pulse is at maximum amplitude.
It does not alter the PPS (Pulses Per Second). The theory being that the longer the pulse the stronger the eddy currents are that are induced into the target metal and the longer time they will flow and the better the signal will be for any given pulse delay timing to respond to.
This is not a technical explanation but it gives a rough idea of what what the pulse width is and does.

Jackinthebox

elixir

Tenderfoot
Sep 23, 2008
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 800, Nokta Makro Simplex, T. Rex Scoop
I own a sand shark, awesome machine. i sweep moderately fast and still pick up faint small targets.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread