SANTS CLAUS WAS GOOD TO ME!

Lynn Wilson

Nov 12, 2013
Murfreesboro, TN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Silver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I joined the forum in mid-November, knowing that I was hoping for my first metal detector for Christmas. Well, Santa came through and I have been getting the hang of my new toy. It is a BH Quicksilver--no fancy bells and whistles. I am learning to recognize the different sounds it makes. I am pretty well digging up everything, just until I get the hang of things. Meanwhile, I am having fun--I don't know how much exercise I am getting, but it is nice to get out of the house. Anyway, I'm glad to finally be metal detecting.

PostalTwo

Dec 25, 2012
edmonton
Detector(s) used
whites v3. past detectors bh disc 2200/3300, garrett at gold
Good for u I think I remember ur post actually. Glad to hear santa came thru for ya. Digging everything is a good idea at first till u get to know ur machine. U will find that its quite good exercise once u start doing it alot. I got alot of sore muscles when I first started all the up and down becomes a workout lol. It won't be long and u will be hopelessly addicted like the rest of us :) . Welcome to a great hobby and HH Cheers

OP
OP
Lynn Wilson

Lynn Wilson

Nov 12, 2013
Murfreesboro, TN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Silver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, Postal! We're supposed to have rain moving in, so I'm trying to get in as much MD as I can today. I started focusing on the high pitched tones (the ones that indicate "coins"), but I have yet to find any coins. What has registered as "coins" might be anything from a bottle cap to an aluminum can. I don't know if this is just a quirk of my BH or the Quicksilver in general. Of course, sometimes when I dig an Aluminum signal, it actually is aluminum. I also wonder if my targeting technique (or lack of it!) might be part of the reason for false coin (as in silver) signals. I often spend a half hour or more trying to dig out a target. It seems to move sometimes! lol That's just part of the exercise I'm getting, I guess. I may try hunting on the ball field at the school where I work, as well as the back pasture on our property. Like I say, I am just having fun and figuring out what I am doing. Thank you, Santa!

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Glad to see you back Lynn and good luck hunting! Sometimes the no frills machines can be just as good as costlier ones,you just need to go slow and learn your tones.Lynn just saw what you posted above.Anything with any round factor seems to always be the same on my Minelab 505,a 33. We went yesterday and a crushed beer can registers the same as a clad dime.

Last edited:

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
glad Santa came through for you. Go on line & do some research for places to hunt, then talk to your local historical society. they are usually happy to help especially if you share some of your finds with them. I have also found the old folks in my neighborhood enjoy talking about their childhood days, & that can often lead to good areas to hunt. Have fun!

PostalTwo

Dec 25, 2012
edmonton
Detector(s) used
Keep ur coil low to the ground and swing very slow trash comming in as coin sound is part of the game u just gotta dig it soon u will find the goods just be patient and keep at it finds will come. Once u have a couple hundred hours on ur machine u will have a good guess whats under the coil. Pay attention to all the subtitles ur machine makes how the id bounces around etc after one season I know my machine really good now. The poster that said reasearch hit the nail on the head know the area ur hunting and u will find the goods best of luck

PostalTwo

Dec 25, 2012
edmonton
Detector(s) used
Get yourself a good digging tool like a leshe digger or similar from preditor tools digging will be much easier

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread