What's new

Saturday morning Im bored question

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Joined
Nov 8, 2012
Messages
6,256
Reaction score
5,322
Golden Thread
2
Location
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Saturday morning I'm bored question

Tell me what is the sweetest find you have ever found under the most grueling and gnarly of digging situations.
 
'63 Rosie & war nickel in extremely hard packed gravel lot of old burnt down tavern site. Had to use a pick to dig lol!
 
I don't know if this counts as grueling or gnarly, (because I usually only hunt in urban situations)...I was in the corner of an inner-city park, right at the edge of the street, no sidewalks or parking lanes. Across the street was a factory made out of an old RR depot building. The semis were going by just a foot from my head as I was digging. I would jump back if I lost my nerve. It was over 100 degrees, humid as a goldfish bowl, and only a couple blocks from the Ohio River so my eyes, ears, and nose where full of river gnats and "no-see-ums". Behind me there was a group of teens on the playground equipment playing loud thumpy-thumpy music, and I was hot, sweaty, and tired of digging aluminum can signals in the concrete dirt of a So. Indiana drought summer.

But I had found an old map on the internet that showed this park was the old horse barns for the RR building across the street and I had never seen anyone there with a detector ever because it looks like a modern park. I had been finding wheat pennies and a silver dime so I just decided to tough it out and dig the big junky signals too, and after about 4 nasty hours and many smashed aluminum cans, I dug a plug right by the street corner with traffic buzzing by my head and saw the edge of a big silver coin and thought, "what is this gonna be, some kind of token or game piece?" So I ran it past the coil and it binged like silver. I broke open the plug a pulled out a 1922 Peace Dollar. Only took 30 years for me to find one. Made the gnats taste better!

Probably told this story before but having dug a silver dollar never gets old....now you're really bored!
 
You know, funny you ask. The IRS man just stopped by and asked practically the same question. LOL
111-2 700.webpI told him I got a signal with my 2 Box, dug down 6', found a man hole cover with a mason jar on top. I opened it up ant took out the Revsass chocolate bar and ate it, sweetest thing I have ever tasted.
The wrapper said," For the sweetest taste in town, look up Revsass."
Yes it is a boring Sat. Frank...-
 
Last edited:
Many years ago, the dog ate my ex-wife's ring. I kept checking his turds with the metal detector until I found it.
 
So far I think junkshopfiddler has the best story. Rats,trains, and skeeters,OH MY! The dog eating your wife's ring and diggin' in poo is a close second boatlode!
 
Last edited:
So far I think junkshopfiddler has the best story. Rats,trains, and skeeters,OH MY! The dog eating your wife's ring and diggin' in poo is a close second boatlode!

EX-wife, CG. Got rid of her 10 years ago. But I kept the dogs.
 
I try to avoid grueling so this is just cold and freezing.

One winter at the tail end of one of our Nor'easters, I was clearing our parking spot at work with a heavy duty self propelled snow blower, trying not to face the wind driven snow. I was squinting when I saw the snow blower spit out a small green piece of paper. I instantly think "That looked like money!". I let go of the snow blower so it stops and I start digging in the pile of snow where the green paper went! About a foot down I found the green paper. A twenty dollar bill and the snow blower didn't even rip it!
You don't always need to use a detector! :laughing7:
 
Ok now MsBeepBeep,you told that so well I almost feel the bracing wind of that Nor'Easter! That reminds me of a few weeks ago when I was getting on a treadmill at the Y, totally not fired up about working out and spotted a $20 bill on the rubber matting around the ominous treadmill band and I looked around and no one seemed to claim it so Bob's your uncle I pocketed it.
 
Last year I was waiting on a young lady to call me to describe the class ring I had found so I could return it to her. I decided to go detect in the same general area hers had been found while waiting and I found another! It was down about 4 inches in a hard packed graveled easement of a highway. I guess a plow truck had pushed it down in the gravel during a snowstorm. It was hard digging but it made my day to see that second class ring.:icon_thumright:
 
last year in august, I dug for over twenty minutes with a screwdriver in hard packed gravel and clay, was using my ace 250, the gravel and clay was like concrete, the sweat was pouring like rain. the reward? a really sweet rusty screw! i had to sit down and laugh, it sure wasn't the coin it had sounded off as! actually my best miserable day reward was the very last dig before i trudged back to the truck, i was dehydrated and wore out. i had just dug 3 or 4 coax connectors in a row and figured i was digging another when my silver amethyst ring surprised me. suddenly the day got better!
 
last year in august, I dug for over twenty minutes with a screwdriver in hard packed gravel and clay, was using my ace 250, the gravel and clay was like concrete, the sweat was pouring like rain. the reward? a really sweet rusty screw! i had to sit down and laugh, it sure wasn't the coin it had sounded off as! actually my best miserable day reward was the very last dig before i trudged back to the truck, i was dehydrated and wore out. i had just dug 3 or 4 coax connectors in a row and figured i was digging another when my silver amethyst ring surprised me. suddenly the day got better!
Way to go on that ring dirtlooter! Old Dude,that is quite a story. That's why I love digging perimeters of places,sometimes the best stuff is there though the conditions are awful.
 
Last Christmas my knucklehead sister in law buried 8 of MY coins in my yard, thinking I would enjoy hunting w/ my new 350. Dummy buried them on edge, a foot deep.... 4 Barber Halves, and 4 V nicks. So it took me weeks to find them all, and while doing so, found my first silver, a 62 Wash quarter. Don't consider the barbers as my first silver... BECAUSE THEY WERE MY COINS TRISHA, DONT YOU EVER DO THAT AGAIN I KNOW YOU THINK IT IS FUN AND CUTE BUT I DONT THINK SO I HAVE TORE UP THIS YARD OVER AND OVER I DONT WANT TO HUNT IT ANY MORE I WANT TO HUNT BEACHES AND OTHER OLD HOMES BUT NO I HAVE TO STAY HERE IN MY YARD AND HUNT FOR MY OWN COINS THAT WERE NOT LOST BEFORE YOU BURIED THEM A FOOT DEEP ON EDGE. ON EDGE? YOU GOTTA BE F'N KIDDING ME. REALLY? REALLY? ... REALLY???
 
There I was deep in the Tennessee woods. I have my then new Whites XTL my wife got for me in Aug. I'm gonna dig me up some OLD coins. Aug. here is HOTTTTT! But when your gonna dig old coins the heat, chiggers and ticks are no problem. Besides that I had this new toy. Sure beat my dad's old (real old) Coinmaster from way back when? So... I'm swinging this new machine back and forth on this old road and bingo it starts to scream!!!! Screw the numbers on the machine... I didn't need them. Now the soil on this old road was like concrete or harder. I dig and dig some more. I keep running the machine over the hole and yep... it's still there! As I dig down the hole keeps getting larger. Three of my dogs all have their heads in the hole along with mine to see what the hell I'm doing. Sweat is pouring off me in the 100 degree heat and the ticks are launching a constant attack but this "$20.00 gold piece" is gonna be MINE! My new pinpointer says I'm right there. Damn I love this other new toy also. Bingo... I see it!!!! My first $20.00 gold piece had turned into a beautiful iron horseshoe. It was complete with lots of chert and rust attached. I just knew this was a sign of GOOD LUCK coming!!!! After digging 3 more of them this s**t got OLD quickly. I went home with my complete horseshoe collection (4) and started reading about my machine. I had a lot to learn. I'm STILL digging horseshoes though but looking for that golden one I just know is here (unless Frank found it).

CoilyGirl.... I ain't found jack with my MD to date to brag about. But I am sitting on a gold mine of horseshoes!!!!!!
 
There I was deep in the Tennessee woods. I have my then new Whites XTL my wife got for me in Aug. I'm gonna dig me up some OLD coins. Aug. here is HOTTTTT! But when your gonna dig old coins the heat, chiggers and ticks are no problem. Besides that I had this new toy. Sure beat my dad's old (real old) Coinmaster from way back when? So... I'm swinging this new machine back and forth on this old road and bingo it starts to scream!!!! Screw the numbers on the machine... I didn't need them. Now the soil on this old road was like concrete or harder. I dig and dig some more. I keep running the machine over the hole and yep... it's still there! As I dig down the hole keeps getting larger. Three of my dogs all have their heads in the hole along with mine to see what the hell I'm doing. Sweat is pouring off me in the 100 degree heat and the ticks are launching a constant attack but this "$20.00 gold piece" is gonna be MINE! My new pinpointer says I'm right there. Damn I love this other new toy also. Bingo... I see it!!!! My first $20.00 gold piece had turned into a beautiful iron horseshoe. It was complete with lots of chert and rust attached. I just knew this was a sign of GOOD LUCK coming!!!! After digging 3 more of them this s**t got OLD quickly. I went home with my complete horseshoe collection (4) and started reading about my machine. I had a lot to learn. I'm STILL digging horseshoes though but looking for that golden one I just know is here (unless Frank found it).

CoilyGirl.... I ain't found jack with my MD to date to brag about. But I am sitting on a gold mine of horseshoes!!!!!!

Limitool when I first got my machine I didn't know a stupid can would ring up as a large old coin would and thought I would dig to China in an old bed of a driveway! Thankfully it was Fall so no chiggers or skeeters but my teeth nearly fell out from all that jarring and scraping to get that jewel out. Oh my goodness BigWaveDave do you and your SIL still speak to each other at Thanksgiving?
 
Last Christmas my knucklehead sister in law buried 8 of MY coins in my yard, thinking I would enjoy hunting w/ my new 350.


I would have buried her.
 
Oh my goodness BigWaveDave do you and your SIL still speak to each other at Thanksgiving?

she is a good egg... has the IQ of an egg as well
 
she is a good egg... has the IQ of an egg as well

And ... OBVIOSULY she doesn't troll this website either. But I can clearly relate to your statement!!! And Boatlode... I agree with you.
 
Hard to say. I am fairly new at seriously digging.

Late last year, I found a 1912 silver Canadian dime in a frozen dirt clot. The ground was hard as a rock and this clot was where an excavator had pulled some dirt and it was laying on top of the ground. I had to crush the clot with my shovel to extract the sweet nectar, :laughing7:

My fingers were frozen, but after finding this one, a 1911 Barber dime which as in excellent shape and a war nickel, I felt better.
 
One time I was detecting a Union camp and the brush was so thick I was literally crawling and swinging the detector. Under a tree I dug out a 1832 half dime and a civil war mess knife while still on my stomach. Another one was when I was detecting a Confederate camp and got a great signal in the side of a gulley. With my luck there were plenty of roots. I snapped my shovel in half digging that trigger guard out.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom