Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Saturday's hunt at a 1781 site

We all planned on going hunting Saturday and as of early Friday night we still did not have a site yet. One site we planned on hunting was canceled because the owner is selling the property and was showing it Saturday. He told us that he will let the new owner know about us and will give us his contact info. I had two others to call. One was a CS campsite that the owner gave me permission to hunt but he was out of town until late Friday or Saturday. When I called he still wasn't home. My next call was to a site I hunted a while back. It is a farm that has been in the family since the 1700's and the house was a Confederate HQ during the war. At first he said he does not allow anyone to hunt but after I told him who I was he quickly said "Oh yeah I remember you. Come on out". Sham and Bob met at my house and we made the trip to the site. Right away we started finding stuff. After about an hour the owner came into the field to see how we were doing. I introduced him to Sham and Bob and we all had a great visit. He then pointed to the woods and told us that a store used to sit just inside and the Old Stagecoach road went thru there. He said you can still see the old road. He also told us about the civil war history of the property. This site is pretty large. We mainly stayed in the pasture as we will have to hunt the other parts later. We all found flat buttons, bullets, camp lead and other things. Bob found a really nice very old ring. My best find was a pewter button. I believe that was my first. Later in the afternoon the farm caretaker came out to visit. He also told us of some other sites just up the road that was a Confederate campsite that is also owned by the owner. He also told us that we are very fortunate as the owner does not ever let anyone hunt and he was told by the owner that we are the only ones that will ever be allowed to hunt the property. Man talk about making you feel good. We had a great time and found a lot of trash as this place has been in operation since the 1700's. Still tons of areas to hunt with hopes of a GW button, CS button or some really old coins. We put our finds in a display case and gave to the owner.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 101
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 101
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 99
Upvote 2

dig kzoo

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2013
Kalamazoo co. MI
Detector(s) used
1 Minelab CTX3030, 2 Garrett AT Gold, Garrett ACE 350, 2 Bounty Hunter tracker IV,BH Junior, 2 Garrett pro pointers
a family adventure!!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very cool, sounds like you have done well by the owner. Congrats and HH!

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Enjoyed Hornbush's video Randy and you guys have found a great site. It is obvious to me that the site has not been hunted hard. Maybe hunted in the 70s but your detectors are pulling out the small pistol balls that earlier hunters would have passed over or could not detect. The encouraging fact is that if they missed the flat buttons, they missed the CS buttons. With your state of the art detectors, you guys have a great opportunity at that site to dig some great relics. Good luck Randy & guys, Q.

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
nice finds! is the ring silver? age?

If you have an iphone, when taking video of a find in the field, if you tap on the screen on top of the object you're videoing, the camera will focus the video on that object. Might help with some clarity.

OP
OP
treasurehound

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
nice finds! is the ring silver? age?

If you have an iphone, when taking video of a find in the field, if you tap on the screen on top of the object you're videoing, the camera will focus the video on that object. Might help with some clarity.

I believe the ring is silver and I think it is from the 1800's. My buddy Bob is going to clean and see if a hallmark on the inside.

OP
OP
treasurehound

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Enjoyed Hornbush's video Randy and you guys have found a great site. It is obvious to me that the site has not been hunted hard. Maybe hunted in the 70s but your detectors are pulling out the small pistol balls that earlier hunters would have passed over or could not detect. The encouraging fact is that if they missed the flat buttons, they missed the CS buttons. With your state of the art detectors, you guys have a great opportunity at that site to dig some great relics. Good luck Randy & guys, Q.

Thanks Quindy. We had a great time and can't wait to go back. We did dig a lot of trash. The soil is fairly hot. I tried my MXT PRO for a little bit but quickly went back to the TDI which is a very deep machine and works great in hot soil.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What you're calling a pewter button I think is tombac like the others, but maybe a little different mix of metals which is why it's the dark color. It also appears to be earlier too.

PS: You will very rarely ever see a makers mark or any type of backmark on a tombac button like the flat ones you guys were digging. You'd probably have a better chance of a rare CS plate before that.... at least from what I've seen over the years.

Last edited:

pescadore

Mar 4, 2007
Schertz, TX
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations on your nice hunt !!! I am sure the owner will really appreciate the display box !!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread