Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ok, there I was on a relic dig, and I got a deep iron reading which led me into a trash pit with bone, ash, charcoal. In my head I'm doing a chicken dance as I'm thinking I have stumbled into a confederate trash pit. Got down about 18 inches and popped this out from under the pictured iron. Well of course all visions of Civil war immediately vaporized since I know that the earliest bottle caps were not around until the very late 1800s.

Assume that it is some sort of sauce bottle. It has a crude uneven base with noticeable bubbles in it. On the bottom of the base is a dimple in the center, with an offset circle and 28 in it. I do detect rainbow colorations on the surface of the glass in various spots so not sure if that gives an indication of glass composition. The bottle stands 8 1/4 inches tall, and 2 3/8 inches across at the base. The side seam runs from the base all the way to the top.

Anyone recognize the bottle? Just hoping to get an idea what it contained and how old it might be.
IMG_2479A.jpg

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice bottle find! Happy Hunting.

sunrunner

Feb 22, 2012
georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find this bottle often in 1920s dumps and as epackage sead is a machine made food bottle . A hinds or something like that . Not worth much.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions