Save your hearing - a contrarian outlook on headphones after many years.

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Today's metal detectors have advanced in many ways. One of them is the built-in loud speaker in the main unit. After I used Garret's and Minelab Explorer II, I noticed a ringing in my ears at all times. So I switched to wearing my headphones around my neck and I could still clearly hear signals.

When I got my Nox 800, I decided to bag headphones all together and just use the speaker on unit itself. So far, this has worked out pretty well. No more damage to my hearing and I'm not having trouble hearing signals as far as I can see.

If you detect long enough with headphones getting some ear blasters in your ears - you will quite likely end up with some ringing in your ears at all times. I've used good headphones where you could adjust noise levels on both ear pieces for a long time. I've always used ear protection when using power tools like chain saws and riding lawn tractors. I've never gone for ear deafening rock concerts. My overall hearing has always been pretty good.

I've hunted in farm fields and at the ocean without headphones at all. Wind blowing etc. I could clearly hear signals being given off by detector. The days of the so called 'whisper' signals are long over with today's technology. IMHO

But don't just take my word for it. There's a treasure hunter who has found over 1 million dollars in treasure, and he does not seem to use headphones, as far I can see on Oak Island. That would be Gary Drayton. Maybe just for the show but I don't think so.

And now many have to charge their headphones to use them. I think this is going in the wrong direction. Just another device that must be charged. I know the Nox 800, 900, Manticore and Deus II are using wireless headphones.

Consider trying this. It just might save your hearing in the long run. And you can hear people or animals coming up on you in the woods etc. Let me know what you have experienced after years of MD'ing. Hold the rocks! L
HH!
p.s. found at 9" - no headphones. Just bigger than a dime.

Attachments

• B1890.jpg
    B1890.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 24
  • B1891.jpg
    B1891.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Upvote 16

no2pencil

Nov 15, 2023
Fort Lauderdale FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
PI King underwater hand held
With the headphones, I can pretend that I don't hear everyone asking me what my best finds are, how long I've been doing this, do I actually find things...

After all the concerts that I went to in the 90's & 2000's, I'm surprised I even still have hearing.

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
in the Tucson AZ area now
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
x2 quest X Pointer Max - my favorite
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Today's metal detectors have advanced in many ways. One of them is the built-in loud speaker in the main unit. After I used Garret's and Minelab Explorer II, I noticed a ringing in my ears at all times. So I switched to wearing my headphones around my neck and I could still clearly hear signals.

When I got my Nox 800, I decided to bag headphones all together and just use the speaker on unit itself. So far, this has worked out pretty well. No more damage to my hearing and I'm not having trouble hearing signals as far as I can see.

If you detect long enough with headphones getting some ear blasters in your ears - you will quite likely end up with some ringing in your ears at all times. I've used good headphones where you could adjust noise levels on both ear pieces for a long time. I've always used ear protection when using power tools like chain saws and riding lawn tractors. I've never gone for ear deafening rock concerts. My overall hearing has always been pretty good.

I've hunted in farm fields and at the ocean without headphones at all. Wind blowing etc. I could clearly hear signals being given off by detector. The days of the so called 'whisper' signals are long over with today's technology. IMHO

But don't just take my word for it. There's a treasure hunter who has found over 1 million dollars in treasure, and he does not seem to use headphones, as far I can see on Oak Island. That would be Gary Drayton. Maybe just for the show but I don't think so.

And now many have to charge their headphones to use them. I think this is going in the wrong direction. Just another device that must be charged. I know the Nox 800, 900, Manticore and Deus II are using wireless headphones.

Consider trying this. It just might save your hearing in the long run. And you can hear people or animals coming up on you in the woods etc. Let me know what you have experienced after years of MD'ing. Hold the rocks! L
HH!
p.s. found at 9" - no headphones. Just bigger than a dime.
what you stated in your thread is the exact reason I use a set of bone conduction headphones when I am detecting, with every detector i own and use, they are not near as loud as over the ear headphones or in ear earbuds, they also allow me to still stay aware of what is going on around me also, i have no problem hearing the subtle deep targets, and changes in the threshold, bone conduction headphones, are different in the fact you do not hear the sounds through your ear canal or ear drum but rather through the bone in your cheek bone sounds are transferred directly through the cochlea, they work great for me, no they are not a booming volume but the ones I use are plenty loud enough for me.

OP
OP
Ocean7

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
oldkoot -
well that's a good option. I thought they were only for underwater hunting. I think the biggest thing that really causes an issue with headphones is when you use pinpoint mode on detector, and have to go back and forth to get the highest sound for top dead center on coil.

OP
OP
Ocean7

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

no2pencil-​

well I'll have to admit where I hunt that's rarely a problem. L

Last edited:

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what you stated in your thread is the exact reason I use a set of bone conduction headphones when I am detecting, with every detector i own and use, they are not near as loud as over the ear headphones or in ear earbuds, they also allow me to still stay aware of what is going on around me also, i have no problem hearing the subtle deep targets, and changes in the threshold, bone conduction headphones, are different in the fact you do not hear the sounds through your ear canal or ear drum but rather through the bone in your cheek bone sounds are transferred directly through the cochlea, they work great for me, no they are not a booming volume but the ones I use are plenty loud enough for me.
Is the Deus II the only one you can use the bone induction on ?

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It takes battery life to power a speaker, simple fact.
Screen Shot 2023-11-18 at 6.23.53 AM.png

Simple fact volume control works on all headphones-turn it to max and one will have issues hearing the ringing after use.

From having a hearing impairment (from explosion)I had extensive hearing tests done at different times throughout the early years of rehabilitation.
I detected just about every day (weather permitting) during these long stints
Since the mid 70's I have worn headphones-and there was no difference during the testing in the later 70's.

Granted if the volume is too high I will have a increase in tinntus. (I wear earplugs for everything basically while working with tractors/tools/impacts)

I can detect out and about-hear mosquitoes buzzing near me, bees on flowers, so this age old thing about something sneaking up on ya in the wilds is :laughing7:.
I don't detect parks/public venues very often-everything is private permissions.
So mainly away from anyone and I still will only go with headphones.
Sounds wind protection for the ears, sun protection 100%, and not to disturb the natural world.
If I can hear a squirrel playing around in the dry leaves 200+ft away wearing headphones then I'm good that no 2 legged idiot is sneaking around.
The 4 legged furry creatures rather avoid us, than entertain meeting us.

Hunting iron I know that there's a need to wear headphones, the subtle tone/grunt of iron pre/post of a signal means the different of digging a rock sack of iron, or a pouch with some keepers.
I'm talking about hearing 10-15 or more targets on every complete swing, and every swing for 100ft.

I have used many different types of headphones and quality trumps the off the shelf types.
Noise cancelling technology was a great invention for headphones-hearing something at 10" down is tricky enough-but going over a stove lid at 2" can be rather loud.

Then again we get what we pay for in life, something suits certain folks just fine, and others it doesn't.
Certain models/makes one think, really who invented these, and what type of head do these actually work on.
Take the WS6 for example-they are not made for my type of head and I have read others having the same issue.
I opted for the WSA ll-XL (over the head full earmuff type) 10 hrs of listening and everything is good.
All depends on the make, and if the detector links with Bluetooth capabilities I would guess.

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
can detect out and about-hear mosquitoes buzzing near me, bees on flowers,
Your experience mirrors mine. In fact the mosquito thing is pretty annoying because I'll swipe at them and wind up knocking my headphones around.

I think the issue of being snuck upon probably has less to do with the headphones and more to do with being hyper-focused on the hunt and not paying attention to the surroundings.

(Also agree on the WS6. I tried, but they're just painful to wear for very long. The WSA are just fine.)

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can also get an adaptor (I'm told) that deaf people can use that uses vibration as a target signal. The Nox900 and some others have a vibrating handle option.

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
have no clue, I do not own a Deus 2 and most likely never will, I do have a couple of friends that went with the deus 2 but never really paid attention to what they use as far as headphones.

I have 7 detectors only two have wireless capabilities, but I added wireless transmitters to the others so I can use my bone conduction headphones with those also

I have two Nokta Legends, which is the only detectors I have that came with wireless capabilities, My Garrett Axiom and Garrett GM 24K, Xterra 705, AT Pro I use a wireless transmitter on, I use a bone conduction headphone with all of those I Listed and I also use a Avantree Torus with all those I listed also, I prefer the Bone Conduction headphones because of the reasons I stated in my first reply

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
It takes battery life to power a speaker, simple fact.
View attachment 2115625

Simple fact volume control works on all headphones-turn it to max and one will have issues hearing the ringing after use.

From having a hearing impairment (from explosion)I had extensive hearing tests done at different times throughout the early years of rehabilitation.
I detected just about every day (weather permitting) during these long stints
Since the mid 70's I have worn headphones-and there was no difference during the testing in the later 70's.

Granted if the volume is too high I will have a increase in tinntus. (I wear earplugs for everything basically while working with tractors/tools/impacts)

I can detect out and about-hear mosquitoes buzzing near me, bees on flowers, so this age old thing about something sneaking up on ya in the wilds is :laughing7:.
I don't detect parks/public venues very often-everything is private permissions.
So mainly away from anyone and I still will only go with headphones.
Sounds wind protection for the ears, sun protection 100%, and not to disturb the natural world.
If I can hear a squirrel playing around in the dry leaves 200+ft away wearing headphones then I'm good that no 2 legged idiot is sneaking around.
The 4 legged furry creatures rather avoid us, than entertain meeting us.

Hunting iron I know that there's a need to wear headphones, the subtle tone/grunt of iron pre/post of a signal means the different of digging a rock sack of iron, or a pouch with some keepers.
I'm talking about hearing 10-15 or more targets on every complete swing, and every swing for 100ft.

I have used many different types of headphones and quality trumps the off the shelf types.
Noise cancelling technology was a great invention for headphones-hearing something at 10" down is tricky enough-but going over a stove lid at 2" can be rather loud.

Then again we get what we pay for in life, something suits certain folks just fine, and others it doesn't.
Certain models/makes one think, really who invented these, and what type of head do these actually work on.
Take the WS6 for example-they are not made for my type of head and I have read others having the same issue.
I opted for the WSA ll-XL (over the head full earmuff type) 10 hrs of listening and everything is good.

All depends on the make, and if the detector links with Bluetooth capabilities I would guess.
Glad you can hear things because I sure cannot especially if I have over the ear headphones on or earbuds in, I also have severe tinnitus, and hearing loss and I use what works for me, to each his own use what works for you

Almy

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2011
Maritime Provinces
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a hearing deficiency and wear hearing aids. In my beginning detecting, I kept the hearing aids in and used the speaker on the detector. Then I tried taking the aids out and using headphones. I typically use that method now because I am able to hear subtleties of sound impossible with the speaker. Since my detector is sound-only, no screen, I need the fine sounds to help ID the target. I've had no volume or tinnitus problems. But for a little while, I kept my hearing aids in when using the headphones. That worked, but in one instance I took the headphones off at a particularly difficult dig and flipped a hearing aid out at the same time. I did not notice the aid was missing until I got home. It was nearly dark, so I waited until morning and went back. It was in a field with deep grass. Surprisingly and thankfully, I found the aid. But after that I have left the hearing aids safely at home or in the car and used just the headphones.

ticndig

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2009
Cumberland Va
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T-2-SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my detector and my headphones both have volume controls, I exclude outside noises and hear all the tones without interference . I simply set the volume at a very safe and comfortable level. no problems as of yet with 30+ years of detecting. I do wear hearing protection while using chainsaws ,weed eaters and such.

oldkoot

Jan 18, 2017
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom
Garrett GM 24K
Deep Tech Vista X
Golden mask Pro 4 WD
Golden Mask 7
Nokta/Macro Simplex Plus
Nokta Legend
Xterra 705
Garrett ATP
Fisher F Pulse
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have a hearing deficiency and wear hearing aids. In my beginning detecting, I kept the hearing aids in and used the speaker on the detector. Then I tried taking the aids out and using headphones. I typically use that method now because I am able to hear subtleties of sound impossible with the speaker. Since my detector is sound-only, no screen, I need the fine sounds to help ID the target. I've had no volume or tinnitus problems. But for a little while, I kept my hearing aids in when using the headphones. That worked, but in one instance I took the headphones off at a particularly difficult dig and flipped a hearing aid out at the same time. I did not notice the aid was missing until I got home. It was nearly dark, so I waited until morning and went back. It was in a field with deep grass. Surprisingly and thankfully, I found the aid. But after that I have left the hearing aids safely at home or in the car and used just the headphones.
I also wear hearing aids, the Aids I have I can actually connect to my detectors also if I want to but there is to much lag when swing over a target

compass

Jan 31, 2011
Southern Cal
Detector(s) used
White's TDI BeachHunter, Dual Field and Pi Pro. Minelab Excalibur and Equinox 800. Fisher Aquanaut.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I too have a hearing impairment and can only hear on my right side. I almost always use headphones, mostly out of habit but when I wade in the shallow water the speaker is submerged.
A couple of months ago I hunted a partially drained lake and tried using just the speaker...what a joy that was to hear the ambient noise around me and talk to my friends while detecting.
I almost got a Deus2 for the bone conduction headphones but got a Manticore instead. If I could get some bone conduction headphones to work with it that would be ideal

OP
OP
Ocean7

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I too have a hearing impairment and can only hear on my right side. I almost always use headphones, mostly out of habit but when I wade in the shallow water the speaker is submerged.
A couple of months ago I hunted a partially drained lake and tried using just the speaker...what a joy that was to hear the ambient noise around me and talk to my friends while detecting.
I almost got a Deus2 for the bone conduction headphones but got a Manticore instead. If I could get some bone conduction headphones to work with it that would be ideal
I checked on their site and didn't see any for Manticore. In my search, I was surprised to find that Bone Conduction Headphones can cause Tinnitus too! There were several other issues some may have using these headphones. Good luck!
Bone Conduction Headphones Side Effects - see here

OP
OP
Ocean7

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
well I still believe headphones are ruining many people's hearing - so I don't use them. It's easier to make units lighter by removing batteries needed to power headphones and coils. But now you hear of users losing power in their coils or headphones while out in the field hunting - because they didn't notice low battery. Lose power in your coil and your hunting has just ended. Now these users have three things to keep track of as far as charging their metal detector. I don't believe this is easier at all. It's more work and more to remember. More likely more to forget. HH!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread