Saw my first robin detecting to day.

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went detecting to day and seen my first robin for the year too day,two week later than last year so spring is here when you see them.And the chipmunks been out since Tuesday And there's a lot of bare ground,the back yard is all most bare by after noon the ground is thawed enough to start digging.
It still goes below freezing at night,people been sapping the maple trees for over three weeks now because of the cold snap we had for the last week and a half,it was a beautiful day in the copper country.The White's surf master ran Flawless.

liftloop

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We've had our robins back for about a month now. I found a small garter snake under a board today and tossed it out in the yard because my wife is deathly scared of snakes. It no sooner hit the ground when a robin swooped down out of a tree and pecked at it a few times and then flew off with it. We have a lot of large earth worms and I guess the robin thought is was a worm? Neat little birds. I like the way they sit and look at you and cock their head to one side like they are studying you. Monty

LukeTHr

Dec 13, 2005
kansas
Detector(s) used
whites xlt & tesoro tejon whites spectra v3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
read your title for the thread and first thing that popped into my head was the vision of a robin hopping across the grass with a tiny bird-sized detector set for "worms".

lumbercamp

Jun 22, 2006
Robins, I have nothing good to say about them. They eat my strawberries before they are ripe. They wipe out my blueberry bushes. I've put netting on my blueberries and they will find the smallest opening to get inside to eat the blueberries. When I had sour cherry trees, they ate all the fruit before I could harvest them. I hate robins.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LukeTHr said:
read your title for the thread and first thing that popped into my head was the vision of a robin hopping across the grass with a tiny bird-sized detector set for "worms".

I'll bet those lil detectors for finding worms were White's. :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

OP
OP
L

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sorry about the robins eating your garden.and that reminded me that they do eat are cherries.but before they became our state bird they were on the dinner list My grandpa would tell me that they have a lot of breast meat for such a small bird.true story.............And thanks Sandman for the complementing post.Robins with little White's detector that a scream.

Love this forum,

thanks for all the replies.

liftloop

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll be watching closely from now on to see if I can spot any of those little detectors! :laughing7: Sorry about the nuisance robins, I have squirrel problems eating the ignition wires in my Durango and the cable TV lines so I understand. Too bad but really we are tresspassing on their domain. In spite of that, squirrel season starts early this year at my house. Monty

lumbercamp

Jun 22, 2006
Monty, I remember your squirrel problems from several years ago. Never ate a robin, but squirrels sure do taste good. Good luck squirrel hunting.

Baldingboy

Bronze Member
May 17, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Professional with 6" Coil
Ok....I apologize now for this (but I was thinking this too when I read the title):

Robin Detect.JPG

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My dad said he ate a robin once during the depression when they were so poor and had nothing to eat. He said he would catch song birds or any bird he could with a box, a stick and some twine and a little corn. He preferred dove but said robin was really greasy.. True story. But I only eat chicken and crow on occasion. M :laughing7: nty

OP
OP
L

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
there late this year
heard our first sea-gal about 10 days a go
he kept calling out waiting for a reply but there wasn't any that i could hear
but on Tv 6 news the other day
Carlo Bornack was tool that there robins are head our way spring is coming
to me were I'm at there probably 200 mile's or so

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They've showed up in Minnesota too, although with today's snowstorm, they may have packed up and left again.

OP
OP
L

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that same storm is headed our way tonight and tomorrow...

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that same storm is headed our way tonight and tomorrow...

Good luck. South of me got hammered with ice, but we got just four or so inches of snow. We actually had thunder along with the snow, which was cool. Is melting already and hopefully will be gone in a few days.

rickn1

Dec 14, 2011
Southern Saskatchewan
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK now I've got it. Title kind of had me going for a while there. I was going to ask what kind of a detector he ( the robin , that is) was swinging. Ha Ha. Won,t see any robins up here in Saskatchewan for a while yet.

ret-detector

Feb 20, 2013
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
By the title, I was expecting to read about a very well-trained bird.
Yep, Spring is upon us.:hello2:

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
you guys are mean...I love robins.they are the harbingers of rebirth.they are friendly.they dont need pin pointers ever.they are delicious...:icon_thumright:

OP
OP
L

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
state bird here ...no eating they all most got eaten in to exstinction
my gram-pa said there is alot of meat on one of those
he was born 1909...
for got to add see a chipmonk wensday

liftloop

Last edited:

Muddyhandz

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2012
In da bush
Detector(s) used
Fisher's 1266X, 1270X & 1280X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK now I've got it. Title kind of had me going for a while there. I was going to ask what kind of a detector he ( the robin , that is) was swinging. Ha Ha. Won,t see any robins up here in Saskatchewan for a while yet.

I saw one sitting on an elm branch here in Winterpeg.

Then I realized it was frozen there from last year!

Sometime by July we should have spring finally!

:BangHead:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread