Saying Hi and Asking Question at the Same Time

Archaic98

Tenderfoot
Nov 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,

(Don't know if I'm allowed to multi-task with an introduction/question message, but here goes,)

I live in Bucks County, PA. Been metal detecting less than 4 weeks, and am an absolute greenhorn. Since I'm "semi-retired", was looking for a hobby, and so far it’s been lots of fun. I’ve been out about 6 times, but haven’t gotten more than 12 feet from the front porch steps. First time I used the MD it hit so much I thought it was defective.
Found lots of stuff-- nothing worth mentioning, except the 3 skeleton keys to the house were a hoot. Dug up many coins and tokens, but nothing interesting. Funny thing—no "infamous" pull tab--yet.
Okay, the question. To reduce the “hits”, I stopped using “All-Metal” right away, been dialing down sensitivity & dialing up discrimination little at a time.
The last four hits I got in 4 different places—set on Tone, I’ve dug below 1’, found nothing and MD keeps making a strong clear tone—actually stronger as I dig. I’m using a small garden spade, trying to keep hole narrow, and can’t really dig deeper with this tool. Next step is shovel, which seems a bit “over the top”. Tried different settings—switched between “Tone” and “Full Discriminate”, kept “dialing it down”, but nice clear tone still there.
Thought I’d try to get some advice. I can say with certainty there are no utility lines there. House was built circa 1908. The oldest house in the Township is across the street and ½-block down. My yard was once part of its farmstead.
I have a Bounty Hunter Tracker IV. Was told it was good for a novice like myself, but not for serious metal detecting. How deep does this thing detect?
I’d appreciate any suggestions on how to proceed—fill in the hole and try somewhere else? Get out the shovel? Plant some tulip bulbs?

Thanks,
Ron

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You might ask more specific questions on the Bounty Hunter in the section for Bounty Hunter.

I have never used a Bounty Hunter, but it seems that you are on the right track by dialing. If you eliminate pull-tabs, you will lose nickels and a few other items such as smaller gold possibly. My feelings are that if you are not finding a lot of iron (when coin-shooting) but still digging up some pull-tabs and smaller pieces of aluminum, then you are on the right track. Also, make sure that you get a consistent signal before you dig and try and get a consistent signal from 2 different directions 90 degrees apart, but if you still get a good signal one way, go ahead and dig.

OP
OP
A

Archaic98

Tenderfoot
Nov 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the welcome smalltowngirl13,

and Thanks Pointman,
For both the tips and the fyi on the Bounty Hunter section--didn't know there was one. This is a big forum, a bit like walking through a huge library.
Just might get out the shovel tomorrow. I guess if there is something down there, the deeper it is the more interesting it might be. And I keep thinking about that farmhouse across the street, built before Washington crossed the Delaware.

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't give up on the hobby, because you will really surprise yourself one day. There are ups and downs like everything else, but it truly is one hobby where you control your destiny in it.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Treasurenet! What you most likely have is a big piece of iron. Something the size of an axe head will detect over a foot deep on most detectors. Keep digging and see what it is, and be sure and let us know.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, Dig it! I won't be a coin or ring but it might still be an interesting piece.

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
imagesCA9WICES (2).jpg

voodoo

Nov 10, 2013
calgary
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, Pro pointer AT, Lesche digger, Garrett digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
welcome to the forum!! yes you can get lost in the form, but it's a lot of fun. post some pics of the keys if you can.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread