What's new

Scabbard tip....What era?

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2008
Messages
12,783
Reaction score
143
Golden Thread
0
Location
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I managed to get out again the other day where I dug the Louisiana button.
Although I didn't find any more military buttons, I definetely dug my share of W.I.I's (What is it's) :wink:
Can any one pinpoint the era of this scabbard tip?
 

Attachments

  • 001.webp
    001.webp
    42.7 KB · Views: 272
  • 002.webp
    002.webp
    47.9 KB · Views: 262
  • 003.webp
    003.webp
    77.3 KB · Views: 273
Good to see you're getting out detecting Mike :icon_thumright: Not sure it's a scabbard tip nor a linstock end. Is it decayed wood in the tip?
 
Upvote 0
Better yet eh?
A linstock (also called a lintstock) is a metre-long staff with a fork at one end to hold a lighted slow match,[1] The name was adapted from the Dutch lontstok, "match stick".[2] Linstocks were used for discharging cannons in the early days of artillery; the linstock allowed the gunner to stand further from the cannon[3] as it was dangerous applying the lighted match to the touch hole.[4] This was located in the breech and filled with fine black powder; when ignited it caused the gun to fire.[5]
 
Upvote 0
IronSpike said:
Good to see you're getting out detecting Mike :icon_thumright: Not sure it's a scabbard tip nor a linstock end. Is it decayed wood in the tip?
Thanks Ken!
I believe it is.
From the top view, you can see the opposite end of the "Iron Spike" :D
 
Upvote 0
4-H said:
IronSpike said:
Good to see you're getting out detecting Mike :icon_thumright: Not sure it's a scabbard tip nor a linstock end. Is it decayed wood in the tip?
Thanks Ken!
I believe it is.
From the top view, you can see the opposite end of the "Iron Spike" :D

I'm leaning towards linstock end rather than scabbard tip on this iron spike tip ;D

The current NC storms should be helping detecting conditions :hello2:
 
Upvote 0
IronSpike said:
4-H said:
IronSpike said:
Good to see you're getting out detecting Mike :icon_thumright: Not sure it's a scabbard tip nor a linstock end. Is it decayed wood in the tip?
Thanks Ken!
I believe it is.
From the top view, you can see the opposite end of the "Iron Spike" :D

I'm leaning towards linstock end rather than scabbard tip on this iron spike tip ;D

The current NC storms should be helping detecting conditions :hello2:
I know it!
We just got blasted.
It's heading you way.
 
Upvote 0
Ok Mike, I'm probably barking up the wrong tree, but could it be from the bottom of a Pace or Swagger stick :dontknow:. It could answer why the wood is still in it. Modern Pace stick in the picture.

hh

hammered
 

Attachments

  • 398px-Colour_Sergeant,_Welsh_Guards,_with_pace_stick.webp
    398px-Colour_Sergeant,_Welsh_Guards,_with_pace_stick.webp
    55.1 KB · Views: 207
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom