• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 100

CC Hunter

Aug 7, 2004
Timbuktu
Detector(s) used
Magnet on a Stick
Small suspension balance beam scales of the 19th Century typically had two circular brass dishes or pans, attached through three small holes generally by string, hanging from a horizontal balance beam that was suspended in the center.

Your pieces there do not resemble any part of a scale to my knowledge. Also, the shiny portions showing on your two pieces, judging by what can be seen in the photo, appear to be similar to either aluminum, or chrome plating. My impression is 20th Century manufacture on these.

The rusty square nail is likely the earliest item you have there.

CC Hunter

Attachments

• antique suspension balance scales.jpg
    antique suspension balance scales.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 62
Upvote 0

Ammietuar

Sep 18, 2005
Suffolk UK
Detector(s) used
MXT/PI Pro/Garrett GS
It looks like a flint striker. Maybe for firing your blow torch or burning down that old house that your not supposed to play around......lol

Upvote 0

CC Hunter

Aug 7, 2004
Timbuktu
Detector(s) used
Magnet on a Stick
i was thinking it might be made of pewter?

Pewter, an alloyed metal of tin and lead, is rather soft and can become brittle with age. The oblong object in the photo, with a wire-type frame, shows neither the look of old excavated pewter, nor would pewter metal alloy function well for such a shape in the wire structure or thin plates at the ends. Furthermore, pewter or similar alloyed white metals have never been used to my knowledge in manufacturing scale parts.

CC Hunter

Upvote 0

CC Hunter

Aug 7, 2004
Timbuktu
Detector(s) used
Magnet on a Stick
It looks like a flint striker. Maybe for firing your blow torch or burning down that old house that your not supposed to play around......lol

At first glance, the basic shape is somewhat similar to a flint striker, yet a closer look certainly reveals the item in question is assuredly NOT intended for creating sparks. :icon_scratch:

A hand-held mechanical spark igniter (flint striker), consists of a movable arm containing a flint within a small threaded shaft holder, that when compressed by hand, causes the spring-loaded arm to move across a rough surface, creating a spark with the contained cup portion. Illustration attached:

CC Hunter

Attachments

• Flint Striker.JPG
    Flint Striker.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread