phone pics 007.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 288
Upvote 12

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

leenie

Dec 30, 2006
Northwest Indiana
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro xp dues
a few years ago I was opening the Quonset shed door. the rollers were bad so I had to put a lot of caboose in it. about halfway open something hits me and knocks my hat off. there at my feet was a 4 foot bull snake. he looked around and headed for the grass. the top of the door was 14 foot up I like to think I saved his life. at 6 foot I broke his fall. that was one of many times I crapped my pants that I had a good reason. I have a friend who says I`m the luckiest guy he knows. I also have lucky snakes. bless you all. dave

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let's keep politics out of this thread please...

Someone carries or doesn't carry a firearm is their right and business, if you want to discuss that right politically we have a politics forum for that purpose....

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
And as far as carrying a gun while you detect, that's just ridiculous and paranoid.

Really. I hunt in the woods a lot. A whole lot. Much of New England was open fields 200 years ago, so its wise to get into the woods in some areas. We have mountain lion sightings almost daily up here. Last summer, a woman in New Boston was walking two of her West Higland Terriers. A mountain lion sprang form the woods, grabbed a dog, and she never saw it again. What if she was walking with her two grandchildren that day?

We also have the Eastern Coyote, which is the only coyote to hunt in packs. They are also the only coyote strain to have wolf DNA, and a couple years ago they attacked and killed a hiker in New Brunswick. Did I also mention NH fish and game biologists have confirmed wolf scat in the White Mountains?

We also have a whole clan of black bears in my neighborhood. Some of which path right across my lawn. One of them is around 400lbs, and his buddy is close to that, and has a limp. My wife likes to think that the big guy gave the limp to the smaller one.

Tell you what. You carry some mace and a whistle and I'll carry my Alaskan.

Last edited:

hunter2665

Sep 23, 2014
Just curious about something. How do you get close enough to the snakes eyes to tell the shape of there pupils? Lol

Brother Al

Jul 23, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Three White's, one Fisher and a Minelab.....I'm beginning to wonder if I am a metal detectorist .....or a collector of metal detectors?
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do you kill everything that you're afraid of in this world? No need to kill something that wasn't bothering you.

As for me no, I don't kill any snakes that I'm afraid of. Those snakes are huge, aggressive water moccasins. Unlike rattlers they give no warning. Unlike copperheads they will not try to avoid confrontation. They Will Chase You When You Run in Fear From Them! Consequently.....I kill the young, little ones.....BEFORE I become afraid of them. Seems reasonable to me? :icon_scratch:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let's keep politics out of this thread please...

Someone carries or doesn't carry a firearm is their right and business, if you want to discuss that right politically we have a politics forum for that purpose....
Post deleted due to politics...I repeat again, please keep politics out of this thread.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure how far you are from where I'm at. There is a pine woods behind the house. The owner claims they have found 6 ft rattle snakes in there when I went for permission to detect it. He told me to be very careful. I have not seen one of them! I have them on a piece of land in alabama, Only saw one,and it went the other way. Normally they do go the other way. In Ohio they reintroduced the timber rattlers in the wild a few years back. I ran all over many different places and never saw one.

As a kid I worked for a couple of farmers, The big snakes that hang out in barns, I hated! They liked them because they ate the rats and mice. BIG Snakes! lol I hated running into those things. Some were black with white. and some were a grayish brown color. They would also get wound up in the hay bails occasionally from the bailer. Yuck! lol

I have lived in the Atlanta area since I was 3 , Once when I was 7 ,I thought that I'd seen a Coral Snake in a small creek I was playing in , but i,m unsure now 'then again in the early 70's there was a-lot more wildlife around here; (Except Deer) they have made a huge comeback in the last 30+ years.
I have a few things to say about the Local Wildlife & the changes I've seen over the years but tend to rant and type real slow, and I have to leave for an event at 10.30.

Tho I have only seen 2 0r 3 Copperheads or Cottonmouths in my time only 1 was full grown and that was in the St Johns River in Florida . & Like I said Never a Rattle Snake.
IMO If I did it would likely be the Timber Rattler & not 6 ft.
Those are living Down near Savannah ,S Georgia ,Florida & Westward. & They are the Eastern Diamond Backs that I Do Fear. Saw one on the Cover of GON (Georgia Outdoor News ) a Few years back that things head was Much larger than my hand & in Severn County It was dead Of Course but from what I recall reading they came across it while hunting in the middle of nowhere and killed it only for the Photo Op.
Have had neighbors over the years who 'said' they killed large Copperheads but never saw the bodies & now that I think back these were people who might think any large (2ft +) Snake is a Poison's Type.:dontknow:
Anyway Gotta go ,I live near Acworth.
p.s. Anytime you can hunt Woods in Dallas Ga. is a Good Time Imo.

Davers:thumbsup:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen and ran into many poisonous snakes in my life, coral snakes, cottonmouth water moccasins, copperheads, both eastern and timber rattkesnakes as well as the cousin pigney rattler.....

I have killed many of them in my life as they were dangerous to my kids and pets as well as to me...

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have killed many of them in my life as they were dangerous to my kids and pets as well as to me

The snake the OP killed was not poisonous and wasn't a danger to him, his kids, his dog or anyone else.

"The only thing we have to fear - is fear itself" (FDR quote)

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; To me snakes of ANY type are the most EVIL, VILE creatures on earth. I don't care what kind of SPIN anyone tries to put on them. I even hate seeing them on TV. If there is a snake around I'm gone. PERIOD.!!! No questions asked.
PEACE:RONB

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Hi; To me snakes of ANY type are the most EVIL, VILE creatures on earth. I don't care what kind of SPIN anyone tries to put on them. I even hate seeing them on TV. If there is a snake around I'm gone. PERIOD.!!! No questions asked.
PEACE:RONB

You gave me a good chuckle RonB! Don't hold back! Tell us how you really feel about snakes!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The snake the OP killed was not poisonous and wasn't a danger to him, his kids, his dog or anyone else.

"The only thing we have to fear - is fear itself" (FDR quote)
The OP did not state she killed the snake anywhere in thread, even stated she does not kill non lethal snakes, she even stated she let the snake go in a different thread....

Yes, Diamond Back water snake... and he was PISSED at first when I caught him.
I guess he realized he was going to get to go when I let him go... LOL

Last edited:

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The OP did not state she killed the snake anywhere in thread, even stated she does not kill non lethal snakes, she even stated she let the snake go in a different thread

That's nice, she only tortured it for a little while for her amusement and then let it go. What a sweetheart...

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's the correct way to handle a snake without harming it. The OP was choking the snake with that grip on his head. Also, holding the snake up in the air when it had just eaten something would cause it distress as well.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do agree with you on this. The OP handled the snake wrong! But our Idea of "wrong" differs!:laughing7:

I don't share the same love and passion for the slithery things like you do!

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's nice, she only tortured it for a little while for her amusement and then let it go. What a sweetheart...
Do not insult, mock or attack members here.

I have watched live milking of snake venom, she was no rougher.....

Talon

May 18, 2012
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Excal 800, Minelab Excal II, Tesoro Tigershark, Garrett ACE 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I take care of snakes for a living, zookeeper, if you want to avoid getting bit by a snake just walk the other way. The majority of snake bites occur from people trying to kill them. Leave them alone and they will do the same. If you have an issue with a snake on your property contact your local herpetology group, they can likely send someone out to help you make your property less appealing to snakes. Remove brush piles and flat boards on the ground.

And Treasure Hunter you are moderating this thread in a very one sided fashion. You are talking about people's rights to carry, but not the fact that many people in this thread may be breaking the law. Killing an animal without a permit is poaching at best, and killing an endangered species at worst.

Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnake Closer to Endangered Species Act Protection

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I take care of snakes for a living, zookeeper, if you want to avoid getting bit by a snake just walk the other way. The majority of snake bites occur from people trying to kill them. Leave them alone and they will do the same. If you have an issue with a snake on your property contact your local herpetology group, they can likely send someone out to help you make your property less appealing to snakes. Remove brush piles and flat boards on the ground.

And Treasure Hunter you are moderating this thread in a very one sided fashion. You are talking about people's rights to carry, but not the fact that many people in this thread may be breaking the law. Killing an animal without a permit is poaching at best, and killing an endangered species at worst.

Eastern Diamondback Rattlesnake Closer to Endangered Species Act Protection

Not sure what part of "No snake was killed!" Is hard to understand.....

My moderation of thread has only to do with TreasureNet rules....We have no rules regarding snakes one way or the other, but we do have rules on insulting, attacking or mocking members. .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread