School yard hunt today - clad, button, dogtag, farthing, St. Christopher medal

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
About an hour hunting at the little school yard by our house tonight. Got 5 quarters, 1 dime, 4 memorial cents, 2 nickels (one is a 1941), and one unrecognizable penny - I can barely make out lincoln's profile, but no other feature can be seen.

The black square thing is an earring.

I also found a dog tag from a dog that used to live down the street from us. I tracked down the owner on LinkedIn, and sent him an email to see if he'd like the dog tag returned as a memory of running his dog in this school yard - I'm sure the dog is no longer alive at this point.

The button looks old, but I think it is probably just a fashion button. The back is gone and it is hollow. If anyone recognizes it as anything worthwhile, please let me know.

The St. Christopher's medal is all corroded. They must be making them out of zinc like the new pennies now-a-days. I remember finding these when I was young, and they were always in real nice shape.

Finally, I think the best find of the day was the 1953 Farthing with the hole punched in it - probably was worn on a chain. Even though the hole is punched right through where the 5 is in the date, a little research tells me it is a 1953 because Elizibeth II was only on the farthing for 4 years starting in 1953... ["The farthing of Queen Elizabeth II was only produced in four years, 1953–1956. The reverse was the same as before, while the obverse featured the queen's head by Mary Gillick, with the inscription ELIZABETH II DEI GRA BRITT OMN REGINA F D in 1953, and ELIZABETH II DEI GRATIA REGINA F D for the other three years."]

Attachments

• IMG_8282.JPG
    IMG_8282.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 410
  • IMG_8283.JPG
    IMG_8283.JPG
    45.5 KB · Views: 387
  • IMG_8284.JPG
    IMG_8284.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 398
Upvote 0
I like finding dog tags too. I was digging in a friend's yard and found one from her favorite dog, circa 1973. She was happy to have it back.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back