Science Rules! An Important find on Cocoa Beach

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
This week I've been down in Florida visiting family in the Cocoa Beach/Melbourne Beach area. Now of course I had to bring a detector with me. Being on the Treasure Coast where you're not allowed to detect in the water, I brought my Deus to hit the sand. After about 4 hours of clad and bottle caps on Cocoa Beach, I was just about to call it quits. As I was walking from the surf line back up towards my rental unit I got a large high tone. I figured it was a copper or brass fishing lure because of its size and shape. Boy was I surprised when my scoop uncovered what at first appeared to be a mini rocket propelled grenade. After all, I was very close to a military base. Fortunately, it wasn't dangerous. But it was pretty cool! The object had a printed message on it with the instructions to contact the Georgia Aquarium if found. Once I read the message, I knew that I had found a satellite tracking tag. I sent an email to the address on the tag and a few hours later received the following response:

"Hi Jason,Thank you for contacting me regarding the satellite tag that you found on Cocoa Beach. The tag is an important part of an ongoing annual study to determine migratory routes of manta rays in NE Florida. The tag that you’ve found contains valuable information regarding the route that the manta took after the tag was applied almost a year ago to the day!!! I’d really like to get the tag back and attempt to retrieve any data that may still be stored on the tag. Would it be possible for me to send you a postage pre-paid package to enclose the tag in and send it to me for analysis? I’ll send you a small token of my appreciation and be happy to share any data that I pull from the tag with you. If so, would you please send me your mailing address for where I can send the package? I am very grateful that you contacted me and hope that you would be amenable to returning it to me.

Thanks in advance,
Harry
Harry ****
Project Coordinator, Research and Conservation
Georgia Aquarium "

I shipped it back to him Priorty Mail yesterday and he should have it tomorrow. It's a fantastic honor to be able to contribute to the science knowledge of such an incredible species.

These tags are very cool as well. Made by Desert Star Systems, this model had a temperature gauge, magnometer, and ARGOS GPS. They retail for $1350 each. I'd rather find stuff like this than run of the mill gold jewelry any day.

Science Rules!

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 31

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I used to find parts of rockets from NASA tangled in fishing nets at Port Canaverals dumpsters.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Never too late to get an education in oceanography. My ex has a PhD in it. Trust me, if she can do it, you can do it...

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
oxbowbarefoot

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Never too late to get an education in oceanography. My ex has a PhD in it. Trust me, if she can do it, you can do it...

I'm already working towards a PhD in another area, double dipping may be a bit much. But it would be interesting for sure!

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That definitely would have had me scratching my head if I had found it. You did the right thing by returning it. Too much money already spent in it's journey to just toss in the trash.

Erving

Apr 27, 2013
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice find Jason, and you are to be commended on following through on contacting them and returning the tag.

Dirtwisher

Nov 1, 2013
MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 9" and 11", AT Pro, Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is so damned cool dude. Talk about one thing you just NEVER expect to pass your coil over. How much does this hobby expand our knowledge of the world, huh? Every weird and cool things demands an explanation and investigation, and then before you know it you're an expert on manta ray tracking tags! Well done!

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love that kind of find always bring a cool story. We never know what the next hunt will bring. WTG!

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That might not be colonial, but that's just as awesome :thumbsup: Well done man... very unique. Relatively speaking, there cant be a large number of those tags out there and the odds that you happened to walk over one with your machine has to be sooo small.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Cool find. Most people don't know but I used to be a Marine Biologist working for NOAA's Endangered Species Branch. I would affix satellite trackers on sea turtles. Many were lost but on occasion a Good Samaritan would call one in. Cheers to you!

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Congratz! That is definitely cool! I can't wait for you to post back what his token of appreciation is...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread