Scouting for Sites - Now with Gaitors!

sacrifice

Greenie
Jun 3, 2006
Southwest Idaho
Detector(s) used
Compass Yukon 77B | Bounty Hunter 8900 | Whites Eagle II SL | Whites GMT |Whites v3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I decided to take a hike to one of the local streams, Nugget Creek, to see how the water is. Still a lot of snow melt, as we had another huge snow year, and the temps are in the 60's and 70's, so it will be a while before I can get where I want to go. Total round trip was 8 miles, with 4 nice piles of fresh bear poop ;D. Tomorrow I am hiking up Gold Creek, to check this one area that I have always been interested in. Ya just got to love living in a place with names of creeks like Nugget and Gold!

Anyway, Nugget Creek feeds into Mendenhall Lake, which is part of the Mendenhall Glacier. This is in the Tongass National Forest, and is an historic mining area. According to the Forest Service, metal detecting, panning, and sluicing are allowed in streams and in active stream gravel areas.

EastGlacier_Nugget_0090.jpg

This is a pic of a log across the creek and a nice gravel bar - it has been there for as long as I can remember, and I have been hiking here for 30 years.

EastGlacier_Nugget_0091.jpg

This is the most water that I have ever seen here.

EastGlacier_Nugget_0092.jpg

Oh, and the gaitors - My wife hates these (which is why I wear them)!

EastGlacier_Nugget_0093.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread