What's new

✅ SOLVED Scovill backmark dating help

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Joined
Mar 5, 2010
Messages
7,742
Reaction score
12,709
Golden Thread
0
Location
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this plain front flat button today and need a little help dating it. There re letters all the way around the back but all I can make out for sure is "& Scovill". I know I have seen this backmark before but my old mind won't tell me where!
 

Attachments

  • flat button.webp
    flat button.webp
    392.7 KB · Views: 108
Thanks for that link. However none of the Scovills listed match my button. I can make out two more letters and they are "st" running towards the last L in Scovill. I think there may be another letter or two after the "st" and running the same direction as the "st". And there are letters before the "st" but I can't positively make them out.
 
Upvote 0
Not a cuff. 3/4" diameter. But I do think that might be the backmark on mine. I can make out "BEST EXTRA RICH" now that I have looked at it again.
 
Upvote 0
I have deciphered enough to determine that the backmark is "L H & Scovill Best Extra Rich" 1811-1827. This one is solved, thank you NHBenz.
 
Upvote 0
In response to BatholomewRoberts post (with good intentions) of a link to a "Button Back Marks" website, NHBenz wrote:
> There are errors on that page in the Scovill section particularly, with some of the date ranges going much later than 1865.

Yeah... when the person who wrote that "educational resource" webpage REPEATEDLY miss-spells the Scovill company's location, Waterbury CT as "Waturbury"... it suggests the info there might also be not very well researched. Note, I emphasized REPEATEDLY because anybody can make a typo-spelling error... but repeating it over and over says it's not an accident. That and the "other errors" there mentioned by NHBenz is why I never recommend that site in my button-dating posts.
 
Upvote 0
In response to BatholomewRoberts post (with good intentions) of a link to a "Button Back Marks" website, NHBenz wrote:
> There are errors on that page in the Scovill section particularly, with some of the date ranges going much later than 1865.

Yeah... when the person who wrote that "educational resource" webpage REPEATEDLY miss-spells the Scovill company's location, Waterbury CT as "Waturbury"... it suggests the info there might also be not very well researched. Note, I emphasized REPEATEDLY because anybody can make a typo-spelling error... but repeating it over and over says it's not an accident. That and the "other errors" there mentioned by NHBenz is why I never recommend that site in my button-dating posts.

Is there a better site that lists the different Scovill/Waterbury backmark date ranges? I feel like I have found one before and now for the life of me can't google the correct terms to find it again.
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom