✅ SOLVED Scovill button - The Germicide Preventive System

WoodnHead

Mar 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, I get the sense there tends to be lots of button inquiries. ;^) I hope you don't mind one!

I found this in a $1 grab bag of broken/misc jewelry bits. Initial searching found lots of Scovill information - most pertaining to their Civil War uniform buttons. I messaged the Scovill company and they told me that while the button dated from the 1850-1865 period that had no other information. It seems to be maybe from a doctor's coat or the like? IMG_1197_edited-1.jpg IMG_1222_edited-1.jpg IMG_1227_edited-1.jpg IMG_1236_edited-1.jpg

Any information would be most appreciated.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_link.gif
Until someone pipes in - I searched Google and found a number of references to a Sanitation System installed at the restaurant and hotel using the "Germicide Preventative System" (from Germicide Co.) which "protects from the evil effects of the constant and unnoticed entrance of Sewer Gas." blah blah blah blah - Circa November 28, 1880.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
WoodnHead

WoodnHead

Mar 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! I searched under Germicide Preventive System and just kept finding religious stuff -Salesian system etc..., and modern sanitation. My Google skills are rusty I guess.

Upvote 0

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
The Scovill Co. told you that date range? I didn't think they existed anymore. At any rate that date is not accurate, as that particular backmark was used well into the 20th century. Although I think the 1880's-1900 looks right by the construction of it. That range is often cited, but was a misprint somewhere at some time that now is found too often online.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
WoodnHead

WoodnHead

Mar 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, the company still exists - but the PR person probably just did an online search. Thanks, nhbenz, I saw similar questions about the dating while I was looking online as well. Thanks to vpnavy - I found the patent for the device on the button. It was for putting over the toilet, for sanitation! Patent applied for in 1880.

All in all, an educational find for $1

Thanks!

USRE9068-0.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
Very cool, good research. I can't recall seeing such a well made button for a specific product like that. I like it!

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
According to the best button backmark time-dating book, by McGuinn & Bazelon, that particular Scovill backmark, with a lower-case o in the abbreviation of Company, two stars, and an inner ring of dots was used from 1870 to 1920.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread