What's new

Scrap metal question...?

Bruce R - I once scored nearly a half ton of 308 stainless bar stock in a dozen different diameters at a public sale, I couldn't sell it to any shops for any real profit as they all wanted the metalergical documentation.

Not only that, but shops nowdays must be able to show the purchase of "new" materials in order to help avoid any product or workmanship complaints, or for warranty purposes.

Limitool - Got a new one and needed a compression fitting. I had a bucket filled with brass and about 3-4 hundred different size compression fitting. I just dumped over, sorted and looked. Found the one I needed and reloaded the bucket. I might keep a few now.

I picked up a Tupperware cake storage top (big, huge plastic bowl) several years ago at an auction. Seeing as we live 10,000 miles from the nearest hardware store anytime something unexpected happens, I can't tell you how many times that Tupperware lid has saved my hide!! It went from nearly full to about 1/4 full in about 12 years. ...think I need a vacation! :tongue3:


I doubt that anyone lives 10,000 miles from a hardware store.:laughing7:
Did we have a misprint or do ye speaketh in hyperbole?
Marvin
 
When you're in the middle of a major project, it's getting late in the day, AND when you live an hour drive from town, then it's the same as 10,000 miles to the hardware store! :tongue3:
 
Scrap is way down now, might be a good excuse to hang onto it awhile, if you look at the newspaper, brand new copper is only 2-something a pound so scrap is less than half that and copper pays the most out of your normal scrap yard metals.
 
I agree. The market is way down, and I really don't expect it to improve much until next year. A lot depends on how things are looking in October and November.
 
Rule#1, listen to Marvin:occasion14:
Rule#2, Refer to rule #1:laughing7:
Marvin

I was reading this to "Mamma Dog" and she started to bark and wouldn't stop.... 4-5 minutes later... I SAID I'LL LISTEN TO MARVIN!!!!!!!! HAPPY????? :BangHead:

FYI: I've now gone back and picked out a LOT of compression fittings to keep but I have hundreds + of these brass fitting.

10,000 miles from a hardware store is the same as living next to one... your waters off... they closed 1 minute ago... now what??? Same as my needed compression fitting. If you don't have/store it then your out on a limb.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom