What's new

Scrap metal question...?

Limitool

Gold Member
Joined
Jun 9, 2013
Messages
7,955
Reaction score
12,322
Golden Thread
0
Location
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been going through my late fathers machine tools, bits, hardened tools and he had A LOT! Most tools are very old. But, all the tools look brand new. Here's what I'd like to know if anybody is up on this....? I'm not looking for exact prices but just general in nature. Today I finally separated everything.

1. I have all the different mikes, calipers, and machine bits separated. I contacted a local machine shop to look to see what they might be interested in. No return call in 4 days after contact.

2. I have about 50 lbs. of solid (clean) brass.

3. I have about 10 lbs. of solid copper.

4. I have about 4 lbs. of solid lead.

5. I have about 250 lbs. of hardened machine metal. Lave tools, drill bits, files, drill chucks... and much, much more.

6. I have about 100 lbs. + of nuts, bolts, washers and other various metals.

7. I have about 50 lbs. of old insulated copper wire. From #4 to #16. Most is heavy gauge (4-6 gauge).

I was just curious if it was all worth the effort to separate all this metal. I have NEVER sold an ounce of metal in my life (except gold). Any opinions or facts would be appreciated. Thanks... Brad
 
near me
Current Rates as of March 8 ,2016
Welcome to Bluestar Metal* Recyc


6. I have about 100 lbs. + of nuts, bolts, washers and other various metals.
prob 25$ bulk
good item in bulk for a flea and yard sale person
they would break in 1lb bags prob for .25c or less

just noticed it said insulated, DO NOT BURN INSULATION OFF
can not sell in most states when wire is burned
7. I have about 50 lbs. of old insulated copper wire. From #4 to #16. Most is heavy gauge (4-6 gauge).
 
Last edited:
Well over $100 for the copper, brass and lead worth the time to take it too. Tools on Craig's list? Or maybe to the guys forging knives, good metal is hard to find. Good luck
 
Contact other shops! Do not let good tools go for nothing. Scrap prices fluctuate. Wait for good prices or advertise it. Local craftsmen would pay more if they could use it.
 
Contact other shops! Do not let good tools go for nothing. Scrap prices fluctuate. Wait for good prices or advertise it. Local craftsmen would pay more if they could use it.

I will and have. But I'm just really wondering if 250 lbs. of hardened machine metal is different than ordinary metal. I know the brass (50 lbs.) and the 100% clean copper (10 lbs.) is. I just want it gone emotionally. I just didn't know if any of the other metal was worth much. Thanks folks.

I also have his 3/4" drive Craftsman socket set. Looks brand new and still in the original case. But nobody would ship this (I'm not).
 
Last edited:
I may be interested in mics, calipers and any precision tools. I use these type tools daily. Can you pm an email address.
The hardened metal will not be any different in prices. Maybe if you had several roll off loads of a specific higher grade of steel but in my experience a few hundred or thousand pounds won't make any difference.
 
Limitool, Food for thought.
1. I doubt that you need to sell anything in order to buy groceries. Remember, I've seen your Mansion.:laughing7:
2. You aren't nearly as old as me and dirt so you will be around for years probably.
3. All of that stuff may come in handy someday, either for personal use OR Barter material.
4. Just stack in a neat place in that big 'ole building of yours and wait until it becomes more valuable. Coverit
up so you don't have to look at it.
5. Remember, yard sale visitors don't have the Money to pay reasonable prices----always looking for a bargain.
Just my thoughts, good luck Friend.:occasion14:
Marvin
 
Last edited:
If any of your hardened metals are carbide, they bring far more per pound than steel.
 
If any of your hardened metals are carbide, they bring far more per pound than steel.

Right, plus Blacksmiths use good metal to make Knives, etc from.
Marvin
 
Limitool, Food for thought.
1. I doubt that you need to sell anything in order to buy groceries. Remember, I've seen your Mansion.:laughing7:
2. You aren't nearly as old as me and dirt so you will be around for years probably.
3. All of that stuff may come in handy someday, either for personal use OR Barter material.
4. Just stack in a neat place in that big 'ole building of yours and wait until it becomes more valuable. Coverit
up so you don't have to look at it.
5. Remember, yard sale visitors don't have the Money to pay reasonable prices----always looking for a bargain.
Just my thoughts, good luck Friend.:occasion14:
Marvin

Thanks everybody...

Marvin.... I have camera's now and "Mamma-dog" promises to come get me now (treats be damned). :laughing7:

But with that said I've been hanging onto this stuff since my fathers death and then moved it all up from our old shop into my new one about 200yds. up the ridge. It just needs to go I say.

He was a TOTALLY jack of all trades. Could build and/or machine ANYTHING. I just have to move on now. I mounted many old tools my Grandfather had and my father's upon on the wall of my new shop.

Thanks all.... Brad
 
I totally understand.:angel12:
Marvin
 
High carbon steel would be the same as regular steel scrap wise, to find someone who actually wanted to buy it and use it would also be a tough sell because they'd want to know exactly what it was, SAE numbers, etc.
 
Thanks guys.... I'll load, transport soon and see what happens. I just assumed the hardened machine steel would be more valuable. And it really doesn't matter... the difference is minuscule. I just hope I end up getting enough to pay for the 70 mile round trip in my truck.

Thanks all.... Brad
 
Thanks guys.... I'll load, transport soon and see what happens. I just assumed the hardened machine steel would be more valuable. And it really doesn't matter... the difference is minuscule. I just hope I end up getting enough to pay for the 70 mile round trip in my truck.

Thanks all.... Brad

There are TONS of different recipes for various tool steels, but steel is steel is steel...at least when it comes to recycling. Tool steel is hardened through tempering (and other means, but...). Some is oil hardened, some water hardened, and still others air hardened. But when melted for recycling, they revert to steel, and into their different specific metals throughout the processing. So as scrap, it's just steel. For blacksmiths, knife makers and collectors (hard to find!), they might bring a little more. If you want to get rid of them quickly, ask around to see if you can find someone in the flea market trade who might be willing to buy the whole lot. Drill bits are too common, and anyone who uses less common bits normally buys from tried-and-true sources. Chucks, tap drives, vises, etc MIGHT could be sold, but you're not likely to find buyers quickly. Milling bits....same as drill bits.

When it comes to measurement devices, it may well pay to do some research. Some old tools are still highly sought after. There are lots of calipers out there, including the older vernier calipers (no digital readout or dial - just tick marks like on a ruler). Very small calipers might be of interest. Micrometers are often sought after. My dad also had a very large vernier caliper - 36"!! That thing was HUGE!! The box got ruined, but I plan on restoring the calipers and keeping them.

Hardware - nuts, bolts, nails, hinges, hooks, etc, etc, etc, etc, ETC!!!...... would go best at a flea market.

If you happen to see an auction in your area that has a lot of machine shop tools (old OR new), you could talk to them about seeing what (if anything) might could be sold as part of the other auction.

Hope this helps.
 
I agree with kcm, I have a small machine shop in my basement and when I need tooling, I just buy new stuff because it's gotten so affordable anymore. I don't even bother to sharpen drill bits smaller than a half-inch anymore. Measuring tools are always saleable , lathe tool bit blanks not so much, indexable carbide inserts made grinding your own bits pretty much a thing of the past. I once scored nearly a half ton of 308 stainless bar stock in a dozen different diameters at a public sale, I couldn't sell it to any shops for any real profit as they all wanted the metalergical documentation. I just kept some and scrapped the rest at 40cts. a pound.
 
I agree with kcm, I have a small machine shop in my basement and when I need tooling, I just buy new stuff because it's gotten so affordable anymore. I don't even bother to sharpen drill bits smaller than a half-inch anymore. Measuring tools are always saleable , lathe tool bit blanks not so much, indexable carbide inserts made grinding your own bits pretty much a thing of the past. I once scored nearly a half ton of 308 stainless bar stock in a dozen different diameters at a public sale, I couldn't sell it to any shops for any real profit as they all wanted the metalergical documentation. I just kept some and scrapped the rest at 40cts. a pound.

I had all this steel separated and loaded in buckets sitting by my overhead door. Rained all day Monday so didn't go to scrap yard. Glad I didn't. Pressure switch broke on my Porter Cable 6 hp. air compressor. Got a new one and needed a compression fitting. I had a bucket filled with brass and about 3-4 hundred different size compression fitting. I just dumped over, sorted and looked. Found the one I needed and reloaded the bucket. I might keep a few now.
 
Bruce R - I once scored nearly a half ton of 308 stainless bar stock in a dozen different diameters at a public sale, I couldn't sell it to any shops for any real profit as they all wanted the metalergical documentation.

Not only that, but shops nowdays must be able to show the purchase of "new" materials in order to help avoid any product or workmanship complaints, or for warranty purposes.

Limitool - Got a new one and needed a compression fitting. I had a bucket filled with brass and about 3-4 hundred different size compression fitting. I just dumped over, sorted and looked. Found the one I needed and reloaded the bucket. I might keep a few now.

I picked up a Tupperware cake storage top (big, huge plastic bowl) several years ago at an auction. Seeing as we live 10,000 miles from the nearest hardware store anytime something unexpected happens, I can't tell you how many times that Tupperware lid has saved my hide!! It went from nearly full to about 1/4 full in about 12 years. ...think I need a vacation! :tongue3:
 
I had all this steel separated and loaded in buckets sitting by my overhead door. Rained all day Monday so didn't go to scrap yard. Glad I didn't. Pressure switch broke on my Porter Cable 6 hp. air compressor. Got a new one and needed a compression fitting. I had a bucket filled with brass and about 3-4 hundred different size compression fitting. I just dumped over, sorted and looked. Found the one I needed and reloaded the bucket. I might keep a few now.
Rule#1, listen to Marvin:occasion14:
Rule#2, Refer to rule #1:laughing7:
Marvin
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom