Scraper?

Elmo

Nov 26, 2015
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Site
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Could someone let me know if this a big game scraper or something else?
Found 2 days ago in the hills near Meramec river. 63025 image.jpeg

Upvote 5
Wow - I know nothing about it, but it looks like a LOT of work went into it. I bet a lot of people are going to get excited about this one. Did you post it in Native American? And in "What Is It?"

Other than Awesome!, I don't know what it is. But, hang in there, I'm sure many regulars here do!

Really nice find. I think this is a stone spud preform. Size is pretty big. If you google stone spud Cahokia you will find similar. They were mostly ceremonial, but the experts are not sure what they represent or used for. If not ceremonial mostly likely this is a type of celt. Find some more!

Nice find! Based on just the one picture I'd say it's a particular style of a large hoe. More pictures are needed of both sides and edgewise for a more certain I.D., because it could also possibly be an adze or a Celt. Whatever it was do to its size it was most likely "long handle" halfted, that is, attached to a long handle like a modern day garden hoe Many large hoes of that general shape and size have been documented.
Again, NICE find!

is the back side uni-faced with a curve near the working end?

Looks like a giant thumb scraper, but need more pics. Great find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back