SCUBA with a detector / advice needed!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of good advice from divers. I would like to add the two knives have line cutters and one knife with a flat end like a screw driver and other with a point. One knife on ankle and I had the larger on my chest. Get the best BC you can and be familiar with it. Definitely use a pony tank with regulator and a Spare Air. So that means your going to have Three regulators and not counting the mouth piece on the Spare Air. Having a snorkel seems silly, but it is handy for resting on surface and saving tank air. Somewhere along the route you will try Hookah systems and have longer down time.

The Ping Pong paddle works well, but fasten it to wrist so it doesn't float to surface. You can fan with it or dig. Don't let go of detector or it will float to surface too. I didn't wear a weight belt but weighted suspenders system as I didn't want to always tighten the belt as suit compressed at depth. There is so much more to learn.

If you wear a hood, don't cut out holes for ears and headphones. When cold water enters ear canal, you will wish for heat.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BVI Hunter

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lots of good advice from divers. I would like to add the two knives have line cutters and one knife with a flat end like a screw driver and other with a point. One knife on ankle and I had the larger on my chest. Get the best BC you can and be familiar with it. Definitely use a pony tank with regulator and a Spare Air. So that means your going to have Three regulators and not counting the mouth piece on the Spare Air. Having a snorkel seems silly, but it is handy for resting on surface and saving tank air. Somewhere along the route you will try Hookah systems and have longer down time.

The Ping Pong paddle works well, but fasten it to wrist so it doesn't float to surface. You can fan with it or dig. Don't let go of detector or it will float to surface too. I didn't wear a weight belt but weighted suspenders system as I didn't want to always tighten the belt as suit compressed at depth. There is so much more to learn.

If you wear a hood, don't cut out holes for ears and headphones. When cold water enters ear canal, you will wish for heat.

I have looked into a pony air supply, seems a good idea for what little weight / space it is?
Will get a knife for sure.
Not sure about the ping pong paddle though - I have come across old coral and rocks and my hand scoop has coped well - not sure if a paddle would?

was also surprised that a hookah system requires NO qualification??? that would be good for me, but I assume you still need to check dive computer for no decompression time????

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IF you are shallower than 30 feet you have unlimited no-deco, but you still have other concerns to watch for so training is still advisable.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IF you are shallower than 30 feet you have unlimited no-deco, but you still have other concerns to watch for so training is still advisable.

Very much agree! Little things compounded cause big accidents!

diverjon123

Apr 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been using the garret mark 2 for awhile now. Great metal detector only problem is that it will pick up everything from a gold coin to a circle hook 5 inches down. All in all great detector and always bring that knife, it can even help by prying some of those objects that are stubborn and just will not move with ur hand.

fishingstickman

Tenderfoot
Jul 1, 2013
Gulf Coast, Fl
Detector(s) used
Garret 350,Mel Fisher pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have done it quite a lot with a mel fisher,mostly in water under 30 ft with little or no vis. i removed the shaft and run the little bungee cords through belt clips on the back of the box and secured to all four of my d rings on the front of my bc. Dont use headphones some machines come with a puck with a flex cord that you use, you can try wedging the puck under a mask strap, i just stuff it in under my front strap sound travels under water. the box stays against my chest, dont really need to look at it, just adj the ground check.my back up reg is intergrated on my inflater and small knife is mounted on inflater hose mid chest.pressure/depth gauge hose is clipped off to a hanging d about mid stomach with the hose running over the control box where i can see my air by looking down at the gauge with out unclipping it. The shaft my machine came with is plastic and it was too flexable when i swept it with any speed due to water resistance and the screw in couplers broke. i i only use about 18 inches of shaft and it works for me.The newer models have a alum shafts so i wasnt the only one. I also use a dry wall trowel to move silt but i will try that ping pong paddle next week.we have a lot of mud/silt and I love a strong tide to clear things up, but you might not have that problem in the British VI all i remember from diving in Tortola was those naked chicks jumping off that big sailboat they made into a bar. up

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are y'all hiring? Lol I may volunteer with that kind if scenery!

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No kidding! I'd volunteer to help just to video the dives and finds for my youtube channel. That would be some awesome video!

fishingstickman

Tenderfoot
Jul 1, 2013
Gulf Coast, Fl
Detector(s) used
Garret 350,Mel Fisher pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
we have tried to get video of stuff he we find but its rare to have any good vis where civil war era things are found around here, those knukle heads on suwanne had a hard time finding 11 logs last summer. On scenes where we have to document crime scenes we do the usual remote strobes tricks or just draw. The things above water i see is usually being filmed by every body else. When I retire in three years I might have some ideas.

dennco2000

Dec 4, 2012
Englewood Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett Mark II - AT Pro - Garrett 580 PP.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I also use the Garrett 580 Pin Pointer for underwater hunting it's very helpful in low visability. I don't buy high dollar big knives - I carry two cheap dive knives $15, the ones with the button release case - spray them with rustolem, stickem in the case and forget about it. Even the good ones will rust after while. My buddy wipes his down with no-ox but the their kinda yucky, sticky. I keep one clipped on each side of my vest.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
BVI Hunter,

Everyone has offered very good and expert advice that I am sure you will take in and use! One thought on the use of a Hookah system, just remember that you will need someone on board your' boat to insure that it keeps working, so that you have air. Although most folks use a single engine to run their' Hookah system, I would recommend having a duel engine Hookah setup so that you will have a back up and make sure that both are electric and pull start. In my prospecting, I have found that the Honda engines, if maintenanced correctly, will generally start up with the first or second turn over the the engine, are extremely reliable and about the best choice available.

Good luck and I hope that first dive is the one you are looking for! Be safe and most of all, do not get complacent or distracted!

Frank

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread