What's new

seahunter pinpointing

digging41

Jr. Member
Joined
Sep 7, 2008
Messages
39
Reaction score
2
Golden Thread
0
I went out to try out the new Garret seahunter I purchased last fall. I am having a little difficulty pin pointing my targets as it is taking quite a few scoops to retreive them.If anyone with experience with this unit could give me a few pointers that would be great.

Thanks

Digging41
 
Upvote 0
Go side to side, and forward backward, as you lift up. The item should be right in center. This is how you pinpoint with just about any detector. You can pin point with giant coil detectors in just a second, same way. If in deep water, or dirty water, or at night in water, it gets harder. You do the same, then put your toe at the back of the coil, when you have gone forward, move the coil away, and slide your scoop in. Should be right there. Practice.
 
Just like Steve says......I do the same thing then when I have it narrowed down, i move the coil back or forward till target tone disappears, then slowly move it forward again, as soon as tone reappears target is just on the toe or heal of the coil depending on which direction your moving it, mark the back of the coil with your toe, remove it and start digging in the center.....
 
You mention it taking quite a few scoops to retrieve a target. Is it because the target is on the side of the hole (better pinpointing needed)? or Is it because the target is deeper in the hole? No amount of pinpointing will remove the overburden. With the SeaHunter, it goes deep and consequently, you need a few scoops to retrieve the target.
 
Yes that is very true. I have several pulse induction detectors, and they all go real deep. I have dug some huge holes. When that happens, or anytime you dig, go back over the hole to pinpoint again. Sometimes it will be just on side of hole, or in the water it could be slipping down deeper, which is a pain. You could dig 2 feet or more on a beer can. It wont find a gold ring anywhere that deep, so I usually quit at 1 foot of digging. Plus you can tell it is a bigger target.
 
Thanks for the input guys, the toe trick is a good idea. The water was rough yesterday so I was scooping sort of blind where I assumed the coil was. To add to my aggravation the spot was littered with pieces of rusty nails which were falling through the scoop holes. I have since added a magnet to help catch these . So far though I am happy with the Seahunter. The water is still very cold here in Canada, hopefully it will start to warm up soon.

Digging 41
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom