What's new

Searched an Old Nevada Mining Area

oldmxrat

Gold Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Oct 25, 2020
Messages
10,922
Reaction score
47,664
Golden Thread
1
Location
Reno Nevada summers, Las Vegas winters
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been trying to find some places to detect that aren't too far away as the days get shorter.
This place is well known and actually has a sign on the interstate alerting folks to its presence, so I wasn't expecting to find anything.
It was sunny with a high of 72F, so it was a great chance just to enjoy the desert.
I found way more than I expected!

The bottle was just poking out with about 1 1/2" of its mouth showing. I always bump my coil against such things because ya never know. It has no markings except for an "F" on the bottom.
The Battersea assayers crucible was laying right on the surface next to a bottle digger's pit. I figure somebody dug it up and discarded it because of the breakage. Still a cool old find in my book.
There weren't many good targets aside from the myriad of modern bullets and shells.
The Constitution medal was so crusty and covered with crap and I didn't think it was going to be anything but garbage. I had a heck of a time just getting the electrolysis clip to make purchase on metal under the crud. It only took two or three minutes and all that stuff sluffed off and I could see it was something interesting!

IMG_0278.webp
IMG_0279.webp


The suspender buckle is an interesting one and even has some silver plating left on it.
The piece dated Aug14 1900 was in two pieces and about 8' apart from each other.
The medal was clearly the find of the day and cleaned up nicely.
IMG_0280.webp
IMG_0281.webp


The area.
IMG_0273.webp


Lots of deep holes out there!
I tossed a rock into one of these vertical shafts and it took about 10 seconds for it to hit bottom!
IMG_0272.webp
IMG_0271.webp


How about that ladder! Who trusts a few nails that much? :dontknow:
IMG_0270.webp


It sure is nice to be out there with the sunny and mild temps. This place is unbearable all summer long, in fact; it is only a few miles from the most treacherous part of the Immigrant California Trail where many men and beast succumbed to the heat and lack of resources.
 
Upvote 23
Ten seconds to the bottom, ignoring air resistance, means that shaft is about 1600 feet deep. Watch your step!
 
I've been trying to find some places to detect that aren't too far away as the days get shorter.
This place is well known and actually has a sign on the interstate alerting folks to its presence, so I wasn't expecting to find anything.
It was sunny with a high of 72F, so it was a great chance just to enjoy the desert.
I found way more than I expected!

The bottle was just poking out with about 1 1/2" of its mouth showing. I always bump my coil against such things because ya never know. It has no markings except for an "F" on the bottom.
The Battersea assayers crucible was laying right on the surface next to a bottle digger's pit. I figure somebody dug it up and discarded it because of the breakage. Still a cool old find in my book.
There weren't many good targets aside from the myriad of modern bullets and shells.
The Constitution medal was so crusty and covered with crap and I didn't think it was going to be anything but garbage. I had a heck of a time just getting the electrolysis clip to make purchase on metal under the crud. It only took two or three minutes and all that stuff sluffed off and I could see it was something interesting!

View attachment 2230746View attachment 2230747

The suspender buckle is an interesting one and even has some silver plating left on it.
The piece dated Aug14 1900 was in two pieces and about 8' apart from each other.
The medal was clearly the find of the day and cleaned up nicely.
View attachment 2230748View attachment 2230749

The area.
View attachment 2230750

Lots of deep holes out there!
I tossed a rock into one of these vertical shafts and it took about 10 seconds for it to hit bottom!
View attachment 2230751View attachment 2230752

How about that ladder! Who trusts a few nails that much? :dontknow:
View attachment 2230753

It sure is nice to be out there with the sunny and mild temps. This place is unbearable all summer long, in fact; it is only a few miles from the most treacherous part of the Immigrant California Trail where many men and beast succumbed to the heat and lack of resources.
Great finds for a signposted place. 👍
 
Outstanding!!!
That medal is awesome …I’m voting Banner …..
 
Very cool medal, well found.
I look at the pictures of the shaft and the first thing that comes to mind is snake.🤣
 
The old reliable ketchup bottle ,,,, never fails to make an appearance !😂 love the medal !!!! Congrats on an excellent find !!!
 
The old reliable ketchup bottle ,,,, never fails to make an appearance !😂 love the medal !!!! Congrats on an excellent find !!!
Aha, ketchup, I was wondering what it was. Thanks!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom