Scott (Mich)

Mar 23, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,

Except for pocket change, I haven't really searched cents since...well the last time I got rolls of cents from a bank regularly was a couple of years before there were even zincs being minted. I just wish I had kept records back then.

So anyways I picked up a $25 box.
I found:
Wheaties - seven (1944-D, 1947, 1950, 1952-D, 1956-D, 1957-D, 1958-D)
Canadian - 36 (1946 was the oldest, couple of 1950's, most in the 60's, only about 6 or so newer than 1985)
Memorial S-mint - two (just because I wanted to keep track of them, a 1968-S and a 1970-S)
Year 2009 - six (just wanted to keep a tally on these for the heck of it; one Denver mint Birthplace, one Denver mint Formative Years, one Philly mint Formative Years, and three Philly mint Professional Life).

Oh, and I almost forgot to add, in case anyone is curious: 66% zinc, 34% bronze/copper or whatever the correct term is.

I checked for WAM's - none, nor were there any other error coins that I could see. Still hoping to get a '92 close AM or a 1969-S doubled die, or...I guess I can dream.

I'm not sure if these were Brinks, Loomis, or who. No writing on the box other than "$25 Pennies" and the rolls were plain white in the middle with each end colored red and "50¢ Pennies" noted on each end too. (kind of funny how they say the number 50, the cent symbol, and the word pennies instead of just saving a little ink by saying 50 cents)

Plus there were a few early 60's Memorials that had to just come out of some mint rolls as they were almost new condition, a strong AU anyways. I imagine that they were from new rolls put away 50 years ago and when whomever had them passed, their heirs most have deposited them at the nearest bank.

The search was fun, not sure when and if I'll do it again though.

Happy Hunting all.

Upvote 0

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any chance that 1970-s is a small date?
Any varieties in the group or are you just searching to fill dates in a book?

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's comical (at least to me) how hipsters get so tense over the words "penny and pennies".

Oh well, I'm glad you had fun antway.

Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe we are in roughly the same neck of the woods in Michigan. I get the same style box and on average, about the same results. You did above average on Canadians though! There are some cool varieties in the mid 50s that you might want to look into for those. And the ‘46 KG VI is cool too!

OP
OP
Scott (Mich)

Scott (Mich)

Mar 23, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 1970-S was not a small date. Had to watch a youtube video to figure that one out. Now I'll have to eventually check the other 1970-s I've had for years to see if I can get lucky. I did look for various varieties but everything in this box were just the common ones.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread