Searching Dimes in Clear Coin Rolls - Waste of time?

JasonB

Feb 5, 2008
Alexandria, VA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
My bank issues dimes in the clear plastic rolls. I got a few rolls today and searched them with no luck. Do you think the bank employees check the edges before they issue them? Or, does the folks who roll them take the silver?

Generally, do you think I could I check them and then return to other banks (I have accounts at two) still rolled in the original rolls? (I'm dealing with Navy Federal Credit Union and Bank of America)

I have access to other banks and could get my rolls in paper if it makes more sense.

I appreciate having access to the knowledge here and thank you in advance for your replies.

Thank you,
Jason

Upvote 0
I've found quite a few silver dimes in clear rolls. Others have differing stories. You never know until you try.

I think I'll do a survey of my own and post the results. Maybe I'll try both Edge Checking and then open each roll to see if I missed any.

I can also report back on the return policies at least at the BOAs here. That way I can also contribute something to this forum.

Thanks,
Jason

Easy way to get around the tellers skimmin the silver ones would be to buy a whole box at a time. When edge checking look at any suspect "grey" edges too or black- basically anything that doesn't show a clear copper is suspect. My average is one silver a box, hope you have better luck. HH Mark

That's true on the box. I think I'll start there. How many rolls in a box?

Thanks,
Jason

Depends on the box. When you get a brinks box, they have more rolls in a box, but fewer coins per roll.

JasonB said:
That's true on the box. I think I'll start there. How many rolls in a box?

Thanks,
Jason

Should be $250.00 in a box!

Silver Stripe said:
Easy way to get around the tellers skimmin the silver ones would be to buy a whole box at a time. When edge checking look at any suspect "grey" edges too or black- basically anything that doesn't show a clear copper is suspect. My average is one silver a box, hope you have better luck. HH Mark

This was going to be my suggestion as well, but I want to add to make sure you get a sealed box not a full box that has been opened.

Good luck.

I've found a few in boxes. I just use a loupe and sweep them in the rolls. My bank lets me bring them back because unlike halves, people actually ask and USE them.

Silver_Fox said:
I've found a few in boxes. I just use a loupe and sweep them in the rolls. My bank lets me bring them back because unlike halves, people actually ask and USE them.

OK I need help. What is a "loupe"? My assumption is that it is a metal detector of some sort. If so I always wondered if that ( a metal detector) would work.

Has anyone used a metal detector to sweep over the rolls? I have no knowledge of how those things work as I have never owned one or know anyone who does.

My guess is I'm in the right web site to get that question answered. LOL

CRH Mojo

coinmojo said:
Silver_Fox said:

OK I need help. What is a "loupe"? My assumption is that it is a metal detector of some sort. If so I always wondered if that ( a metal detector) would work.

Has anyone used a metal detector to sweep over the rolls? I have no knowledge of how those things work as I have never owned one or know anyone who does.

My guess is I'm in the right web site to get that question answered. LOL

CRH Mojo

You have probably seen loupes before. They are commonly used when inspecting diamonds/jewelery.

Jason,

Without a doubt searching clear coin rolls for dimes is the way to go. It is far easier to search and return them in plastic than it is to search and return machine wrapped paper rolls. With some practice I've found I can very quickly search hand rolls by sliding the whole roll out in my right hand and sliding it right back in when I don't see a good rim, replacing any good coins with Canadians, of course. :wink:

The key to your success is volume. That's why clear wrapped coins are the best ... it is hard to find enough hand rolled dimes for proper CRH'ing! I've found 1.15 US silver dimes a box (2,500 coins). I think others have found them at a similar rate. I recommend getting 4 to 6 boxes at a time and that way you'll rarely not find a few in one sitting.

After you're done with them return them to some other bank. Sure some tellers will look at you oddly, but who cares ... you found silver! Being nice to the tellers goes a long way. I find it best to not dump rolled coins at the same bank more than twice in one month.

In addition, it is best to return complete boxes. That way you'll never miscount the amount you're returning and tellers will be able to count them real fast, especially if you put them in boxes with all the ends of the rolls sticking up. If you're lucky you'll find a teller that gets used to (sick of) seeing you and just counts the boxes, not the rolls.

Best of luck!

Brian

coinmojo said:
Silver_Fox said:

OK I need help. What is a "loupe"?
Here is a pic of a loupe.

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_65.jpg
    ScreenHunter_65.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 233
That's all great advice.

By the way, I bought two nice loupes on eBay for $10. They were shipped from Hong Kong which worried me a little but they did arrive and were exactly what I needed. One had a 10x and 20x end and the othe had a 30x end.

Recommend you find that eBay deal if you can afford to wait 2 or 3 weeks for the Hong Kong mail.

Jason

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back