What's new

Searching Pennies By Hand Sucks

tnfishdaddy

Full Member
Joined
Oct 12, 2005
Messages
219
Reaction score
1
Golden Thread
0
Location
Upper East Tennessee
I picked up a box of pennies about a week ago and finally got around to working on them today. Good grief. :( I am a little over half done and I have had about enough. I am around 20% so far for coppers. So far no wheaties. I have been rewrapping both coppers and noncoppers and enough is enough. If I am going to keep sorting pennies, I am going to have to break down and talk to Ryedale. At least I have a box of halves waiting for me to pick up tomorrow. :)
 
Upvote 0
That's the beauty of halves. I don't have to even look at the dates. Just slide them out, look for silver and slide them right back into the wrapper. Pennies suck. :(
 
I can wheat search a box in an hour or so without looking for coppers.....wheats can be far more valuable and you should spend your time on them... five boxes for me yielded 37 wheats ('34 as the oldest), 7 old canadians, and some dimes mixed in

HH
-GC
 
I run the pennies on my Reydale then search the copper.
searching for wheats in just copper is much eaiser and faster.
Then I save time and gain money because copper cents are worth 0.025 cents.

Happy Hunting,
CC
 
Every time I search Lincolns I say I'll never do it again. Just feels more like work than fun. But I picked-up just over $80 worth yesterday and searched the first $30 worth today. The last few times I just searched for Wheats and it was much easier, but the collector in me says I need to look for errors also. This time I separated coppers from Zinc. I also set aside the 83s, 84s, 95s, 95-Ds, and 97s to look for errors. I'll also look for known errors in the coppers. I found 8 wheats, oldest is a 30-D. I separated the copper just to see how many there were but I'm not sure I think it's worth saving them yet. Since I don't have a good source to sell them I may just cash them in with the zincs.
 
tnfishdaddy said:
I picked up a box of pennies about a week ago and finally got around to working on them today. Good grief. :( I am a little over half done and I have had about enough.

That is exactly why I didn't eyeball search for coppers.

But I bought the ryedale a few weeks ago and went gangbusters on it. If I remember correctly $850 in cents = $165 in copper ($5 of that were wheats)
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom