What's new

Seated Half and Old Buckle and More

winslow

Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2004
Messages
448
Reaction score
1,644
Golden Thread
2
Location
Oregon, No Cal Border
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Max, Equinox 900
While wandering aimlessly in the woods with the detector I came across what must have been a small campsite. First found what was left of a rusty knife and a couple of old nails. Then a couple of musket balls. Then a lid off a somewhat modern can (probably 1940's). I put the lid in my pouch and scanned the hole again. There was still a good target in the hole ... must be another part of the can ... I say to myself. But it wasn't another can lid it was a coin the size of a half dollar. Didn't get the date until I got it home and got my soft toothbrush out. I've found over twenty seated half dollars in my detecting "career" but each one is special to me. :hello2:

Had some other good clear targets including a brass buckle that screamed "dig me" with an eagle on it. The side pieces are missing but it's still super cool. Looks pre civil war but I'm certainly no buckle expert.

I've found similar decorative flowery thingies before at another campsite I ran into a few years ago. I wonder if they served a purpose beyond being tent bling?? Someone once told me they were tent finials but that doesn't smell right to me. I think they are made of a lead composite. A magnet doesn't stick to them. ???:icon_scratch:
 

Attachments

  • Camp site 6-16.webp
    Camp site 6-16.webp
    264 KB · Views: 179
  • camp site coin buckle  6-16.webp
    camp site coin buckle 6-16.webp
    60.9 KB · Views: 179
  • camp site buckle 6-16.webp
    camp site buckle 6-16.webp
    37.1 KB · Views: 162
Upvote 38
Congrats on the big old silver and other nice finds
 
Any Seated is still on the Bucket List for me, but a Half!!!!
 
Congrats on the great finds!! Is there an "S" mint on the back? If so, less than 500K minted- always awesome to find a coin when so few of them were minted.

-- Jeff --
 
Nice finds but that Seated half is awesome!! Please post front and back photos. Such nice detail! Congrats and HH
 
You did GREAT. What is the brass piece with the eagle on it, do you know?
 
Fantastic finds! That seated half is a beauty & the plate is awesome. I'd say the buckle is prewar as well, looking forward to seeing a good ID on it.
 
Nice finds. Wow 20 seated halves since you been detecting. How about sending a little luck my way. I have been detecting 44yrs. and only have 1 walking half. Congrats.
 
20 seated halves - im not worthy
 
looks like an 1851 Federal officers sword belt plate. should have a U shape hook on back, the belt loop appears to be missing on the left side. SEATED is mega greatness
 
Great looking Seated Half. Those are a real nice find.
 
Congratualtions on the big old silver and cool relics! :occasion14:
 
Wow.. really nice finds! That half is killer, as is the buckle.

Well played sir!
 
Nice finds but that Seated half is awesome!! Please post front and back photos. Such nice detail! Congrats and HH

It does have an S mint mark. Here is picture of the reverse side.
 

Attachments

  • campsite seated half rev 6-16.webp
    campsite seated half rev 6-16.webp
    33.2 KB · Views: 110
Wow, nice coin. Great finds. Congrats on the half, everyone here would love to find that.
 
wow - that is a GREAT FIND - congrats!!
 
This was an epic hunt. Congrats on two fantastic finds--the sword belt plate and sweet seated half!
 
Winslow see my reply to your previous post with buckle and half (DEC 2015), That buckle is the tongue for the rectangular wreath. 1845-50
 
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom