cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:'( :'( As most of you know I always try to buy gold/silver and I have a small tackle box I keep all my tools and testing equipment in. When someone has gold to test I go to my car and get my "kit"

If I only have a tiny spot to test in it gets cramped and I put my tools in where they will fit. Four weeks ago I left my jewelers file at a yard sale and had to go buy a set of files because nobody sell just one and last saturday I left my digital scale at a garage sale. I am pretty sure where the house was so drove there yesterday but no one was home. Will try one more time tonight.

OH WELL :-[ just the cost of doing business and getting old.
P.S. at that house I bought several gold pieces, one platinum ring and some silver, so not a loss at all.

cdltpx

Jul 6, 2009
Galvez La 70769
Detector(s) used
ACE 250/2 coils BH 2 coils/ Garrett pinpointer.
Maybe you need to buy one of those old dial lock brief cases get one that is real ugly and tacky so no one would ever think of stealing it that way you use your tools you never set them out the case OR carry a light weight tv dinner table that you can set up for your own space this way you never set your things on their territory. Also maybe paint all your tools or as I use to do when I was in electronics school I went to the store got a bunch of fish stickers that glittered what it did was if you set it down you could easily recognize it as yours and you would pick it up. Might want to go with a back pack if you have your gear on your back every sale you would have saved a step allowing you that bit of time to ask that question did I get everything?
I got it wear an apron to contain your tools that way you get in the habit of placing the tools in the apron or attach a retractable string to your tool so you set it down it immediately reminds you you forgot your tool.
Also remember all that dust can be sold to the refiner my brother the jewler has a carpet in his shop that he will sell once a year he said that carpet will net him at least $600.

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cyberdan said:
:'( :'( As most of you know I always try to buy gold/silver and I have a small tackle box I keep all my tools and testing equipment in. When someone has gold to test I go to my car and get my "kit"

If I only have a tiny spot to test in it gets cramped and I put my tools in where they will fit. Four weeks ago I left my jewelers file at a yard sale and had to go buy a set of files because nobody sell just one and last Saturday I left my digital scale at a garage sale. I am pretty sure where the house was so drove there yesterday but no one was home. Will try one more time tonight.

OH WELL :-[ (1.) just the cost of doing business and (2.) getting old. P.S. at that house I bought several gold pieces, one platinum ring and some silver, so not a loss at all.

Cyberdan, you forgot to list a third reason.... #3. Your body dealing with all that pumping adrenaline... :wink:

Since the forum has been down, I received my payout from ARA in Dallas. It was for 87.69 troy ounces of silver; except for what little silver jewelry I've found metal detecting, all from garage sale .925 jewelry, small tea pot, and 13 pieces of sterling silverware. I took pictures of the shipment...for documentation and to keep clear and good memories of this milestone!!!

I had calculated it at 84 T. ounces, then I put in some unmarked pieces like a heavy braided wire necklace and a thick and large backplate to a bolero western tie that I'd cleared of 2 Indiain head nickels, two Roses' dimes, and a center piece of a Morgan silver dollar.

It arrived at ARA on the Friday after Veteran's Day, and they said with Silver, they pay based on the day it arrives..... So, silver was down to $25.50, but with less than a $250 investment (including the $30 cost of insured and Registered Mail) in the Garage sale silver, along with a small bag of returned stones, the $2,003.00 check was a welcomed sight. I was very happy with the speed and honesty of ARA!!

Again, thanks for all your help and encouragement,
Bill

cdltpx

Jul 6, 2009
Galvez La 70769
Detector(s) used
ACE 250/2 coils BH 2 coils/ Garrett pinpointer.
Awesome payday (as the commentor is enjoying the fruits of a $5.oo pick at a thrift store my electric blanket "purr says the kitty purr purr purr") I went to a ys this weekend purchased a small chain that is 14K for $10 normally I would pass on these but seeing how much money is being made here why let that money sit in my bank when I can buy a chain and hedge inflation that is sure to come.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread