Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400-Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
One day while out M.D. I was approached by a guy that told me a little
about his M.D. club.Just a bunch of fellow Detectorist that get together
and talk about their hunts,along with competing in prizes for best relic,
oldest coin,best jewlry,etc. found for the month.
So I went to a meeting and joined the same night.Great stuff.
To top it off they have seeded hunts.For the first time ever,I went on a seeded hunt.
One of the guys had a few acres of land that he moved his cows off into another pasture.
He and a couple of others went out in that pasture and planted like 125 silver,silver clad,and valued clad coins.
Not deep.1/2" -2 inches deep.$5 entry fee and we were off to the races.
I found 11 silver coins in a couple of hours.One I found was deeper.A coin buried from a past hunt.
Fun stuff guys.If you have the opportunity do it.I mean think about it.The pic is the real deal.

Attachments

• Seeded Hunt.jpg
    Seeded Hunt.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like seeded hunts but only at the beaches. The ones in dirt make my hand and wrist hurt due to the stress!

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Glad you like it and it works for you. :hello2: Many enjoy seeded hunts and detecting clubs. Tnet is my club and on a personal note, I like to dig my coins in the wild.

MoonTzu

Apr 24, 2018
Sunny San Diego, California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Elite 2200 (bought used), GP pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Speaking as a noob, a seeded hunt sounds like fun and a great way to get some good practice in an area with known targets! I'm unlikely to come up with silver in my local parks - it's all much too new - so such a hunt might be my first chance to experience a silver signal in the semi-wild. Plus, there's always the social side, which has value beyond coinage. I know there's a club nearby, I just have to get to a meeting.

OP
OP
bayhawk2

bayhawk2

Jan 14, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
"I like to dig my coins in the wild. "
Totally agree.My metal detecting has always been a solo,secret mission,in and out thing.
I've done this for awhile and believe me finding wild stuff is the ultimate goal.
BUT as a past time thing,a club is a nice change of pace.We don't pry into each others locations.
When we bring a find in for monthly competition prizes,we never ask where.
Some volunteer to talk about their past experiences and some just listen.
It is what it is.A nice little past time and the seeded hunts?To me?Good times with good friends.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bayhawk2

bayhawk2

Jan 14, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
"The ones in dirt make my hand and wrist hurt ".
I'm an old guy and believe me my body is wanted by every experimental drug company in America.
Seriously though,these guys never bury anything deep.However the ground on this last hunt was hard
as rock due to the drought we are in.Still the coins were not deep and the long handle metal detector shovels made it ok.
I did chisel my way down about 7 inches on a standing liberty quarter that was buried on a past hunt.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I attend 2 different club sponsored hunts each summer. Both groups plant coins (mostly nickels) and you keep however many you find. Every so often you'll find a painted nickel that is a token for a prize. Over the last few years I've ended up with 1oz silver rounds, headphones, and 4 new detectors won on these hunts plus the chance to rub shoulders with a great bunch of people in the hobby. As mentioned above, I enjoy wild hunts as well, but the planted hunts have produced the most value from detecting for me.
luvsdux

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Lost Treasure Weekend (June 15-17 2018) | Blackthorne Resort | Greene County, NY Family ResortBlackthorne Resort | Greene County, NY Family Resort

Lost treasure weekend. Iv’e been to this twice. Skipped last year will try to go this time. Lots of fun. There is also a bar with live music on premises. A lot more then just a seeded hunt which are a lot of fun. They bury nickels with number typed to them that corresponds to prizes. They also bring you by bus to old homesites to detect. And the food and service is great.

SultansOfSwing

Dec 28, 2016
NH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 - & ProPointer AT-------

Back Ups: AT Pro, Tesoro Royal Sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not all seeded hunts are created equal. I mainly do them for a shot a prizes. Between by dad and I were won 2 detectors, 2 pinponters, a nel storm coil, t-shirts, gift certificates, chances at the grand prize treasure chests, anderson shaft, detecting swag, plus you pocket the silver. This has all been in the last year and a half when we started. My dad also pulled out an 8 reales 1730 something, worth 150+.

Its also great meeting new people and exchanging stories of finds and getting tips on detector set ups. Also the food if they have any is usually pretty good.

Ive dug probably 200 pieces of silver in the last year and a half and although it doesnt get mixed in with my natural dug stuff it does add to the overall collection.

OP
OP
bayhawk2

bayhawk2

Jan 14, 2014
Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
"Not all seeded hunts are created equal."
Sounds great.I'm in Texas and they had a hunt as you describe over on Galveston Beach here while back.
I think it had a $150 entry fee.That got you in on several 15 minute hunts.Token hunts.
All depended on the number on the token on the prize you won.I didn't go.I wanted to get a feel
on what to do,how to do it,and basically get a feel on what it took to find the most.The fastest.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread