What's new

Seein Red!

goldencoin

Gold Member
Joined
Sep 27, 2005
Messages
5,669
Reaction score
452
Golden Thread
0
Location
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seein' Red!

Hey everyone!

I went to my dump bank and I saw a red seal when they went to get the bills. It was one of 24 $2 bills- 7 1953 and the rest 1963! The teller said she looked for star notes (must be that one shy of $50). She also gave me some halfs she assured weren't mine and got 2 40%. Then one more stop got me another.

HH
-GC
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2731.webp
    IMG_2731.webp
    59.4 KB · Views: 390
Upvote 0
Re: Seein' Red!

Wow! What a very exciting find!

When I ask for halves and other oddities, the tellers will sometimes mention they have two's and I am always sure to ask for the years on them or to take a peak at them myself, but have yet to find a non-common one.

Very nice work, and grats on the silver as well!

~Dave
 
Re: Seein' Red!

Hey, there are some sequential sets in there...would that make them more valuable?

HH
-GC
 
Re: Seein' Red!

Sequentials do help with the value if you sell them. The more you have in the order the better. 5 being worth more than 2, etc. I sold some fiat... red seal and blue in 2's and 5's, and the sequentials brought a bit of a premium. None were key dates or anything so it was nothing FANTASTIC, but still a nice chunk above face.

You would need to find the right dealer though... some are kinda shady when dealing with fiat. I've run into some that discount the sequentials as being worth more, while I have also seen a dealer state that star notes aren't worth much if anything of a premium.

Gotta find that right dealer! The good ones are worth their weight in gold... or silver at least!

~Dave
 
Re: Seein' Red!

I was in a coin store recently and saw an older lady bringing in a bunch of stuff she wanted to sell. She had quite a few red seal $2 bills in great shape and I heard the buyer say he would pay her double face ($4) each. Seemed kind of low to me. She had a ziplock bag half full of Indian pennies and a bunch of buffalo nickels too, but I don't know what they gave her for those specifically. She sold everything she brought in, which included some junk silver bags of dimes, quarters and halves. It's amazing how low some people sell for when they want cash.

Jim
 
Re: Seein' Red!

When they need cash and when they don't know better.

A lot of people who don't deal in coins and fiat collecting see a 2 dollar bill and think... jeeze... I probably can't even use these at the supermarket because they won't take them or know what they are! Then when they get offered twice face... they are in shock that it could be worth more than 2 dollars and they POUNCE on the offer not knowing better. Another sign that she didn't know what the heck she was doing was that she sold EVERYTHING she had. Most times, unless you are at a VERY good dealer as far as buy prices go, you will find they some things are worth selling to them and others are worth holding onto and trying somewhere else.

I brought in a VERY small amount of fiat to sell a couple weeks ago... like $30 tops in face and walked away with a cool $100. None of the bills were at all key in date or letter, and only like half of them were pristine with the others being QUITE raggidy, so over a 3 times multiplier was fine by me, and that was without shopping them around AT ALL. I probably could have done a little better if I bothered to try.

So it goes to show... like I said... find a good dealer... as rare as they are!

~Dave
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom