Seeking info on this double-edged metal weapon

AZEllen

Greenie
Mar 16, 2021
the desert of Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for allowing me to join; I'm looking forward to enjoying this forum!

My husband and I unearthed this whatever-it-is about 25+ years ago while out in the Arizona desert using our metal detectors. It was found at the base of a tree, just below the surface of the soil. It's been tucked away since then, but a friend saw it yesterday and said we should REALLY try to find out what it is and possibly its age.

I've done the best I could with the photos, but realize they're not great. I'm not even positive about the letters, but as nearly as I can tell, it reads "Mayagendon" or something very close to that.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_1259.jpg
    IMG_1259.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_1257.jpg
    IMG_1257.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_1263.jpg
    IMG_1263.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_1264.jpg
    IMG_1264.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_1265.jpg
    IMG_1265.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_1262.jpg
    IMG_1262.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 94
OP
OP
A

AZEllen

Greenie
Mar 16, 2021
the desert of Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Though the blade is pitted, the lack of rust where the bluing has worn off exposing bare metal, makes me think it's a more modern piece or a piece kept indoors, not a piece exposed to the elements for several hundred years, as even the desert gets rain.

View attachment 1911843

We don't believe it has been blued, at least not in the sense of things being blued today. (I say this in comparison to a gun being blued. . . we're gun enthusiasts!) Sorry if the picture is misleading. All I know is that we found it in the Sonoran desert, around 15 miles north of the Mexican border, under a mesquite tree, down several inches in the soil. I've made no claim to its age. I came here seeking info as to what it might be. Thanks!

Upvote 0

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
cant seem to find a lot of info on juan riel,just the same info kenosha kid
found,maybe it was a personal item of a juan riel.that was stolen during the
war. below some info on a maybe relative Gregoria Riel,and a link to an archive

Emiliano served as secretary general of the Associacion de
los Veteranos de la Revolution headed by General Emilio Aguinaldo.
He married Gregoria Riel of Maragondon by whom he had tree children:
Gorgonio, Juan and Magpuri. He died on his farm in Maragondon of
February 4, 1926, at the age of 62.
https://cavite.gov.ph/home/2017/02/20/emiliano-riego-de-dios-aug-10-1898-nov-23-1898/

https://nhcp.gov.ph/?s=juan+riel+
https://nhcp.gov.ph/history-museums/

same info kenosha kid
https://wn.com/freedom_climb_mt_buntis_and_mt_nagpatong_maragondon,_cavite/location

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A

AZEllen

Greenie
Mar 16, 2021
the desert of Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you, Walt. I've been away from this site for a bit due to health issues in the family. I do hope to be back with another found treasure soon, though!

Upvote 0

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Though the blade is pitted, the lack of rust where the bluing has worn off exposing bare metal, makes me think it's a more modern piece or a piece kept indoors, not a piece exposed to the elements for several hundred years, as even the desert gets rain.

View attachment 1911843

First we want to ask if someone tried to "clean"' it after recovery to enhance the letters clarity.

Time spent buried is a good point.
Why it was buried and when of course follows.

Farther South a Grandfather hid something in a near panic. From concern of "who" was doing what and may be coming to his area.
Hiding things of perceived value was the deal. Not that he had much of value , but one item was family heirloom. Worth value to him because it had been in the family so long. Nevermind it's low $$ value to others.
Alas, When things quieted down , he could not find the spot in a nondescript locale and recover the heirloom.

Kids hide stuff too. Stuff someone snuck out of a home and didn't want to get caught with when they thought about its risks.
IF the tree was in range of kids. It may or may not have been. A dirtbike can provide travel of extended range. As can other modes.

I still have a high quality knife from around 50 years ago that had been stuck in the ground near a subdivision quite near a trail.
Somebody probably missed that knife eventually....

Browning proceeded bluing. Both are just controlled rust.
Keeping metal in "the white" and cleaning and oiling eventually leaves a patina. Kept clean (avoiding stains of non metal deposits ect.) , it turns out alright.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread