PluGGLife

Dec 21, 2015
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab e-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all. I just did my first legitimate hunt of the year. I haven't been much lately. Anyway I found my first silver quarter. 1935.. I was hunting with my AT pro as I find myself using it more than the etrac. I just don't think the etrac is for me. I want to sell it and use the proceeds to get something I would like better. I like the speed and style of hunting the Garrett gives me but I would like something that can go deeper. I am willing to go high end or upper mid range I just want a fun machine like the AT pro . Any suggestions?

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Makro Racer 2 Pro Package :skullflag:

Patriot 1776

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Dec 9, 2014
MA
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX and V3i, Garrett AT Pro , ACE 350, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The AT-Pro is my favorite Detector, works great and very user friendly.
As Terry Soloman said the Racer 2 is a great Detector , a lot of detectorist are using the new Nokta Impact as well.
Also if your looking to save money, try a Nel coil for greater Dept for your AT-Pro
Happy Treasure Hunting
dennis

dave_e

Aug 30, 2015
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend,
Rutus Atrex,
Minelab Equinox 600,
Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it's just depth your after, I'd try a large coil for the AT Pro.

I mean I love my Racer 2 and 15" coil setup, but before spending the cash I'd grab a NEL Thunder and slap it on the AT Pro and see how you like it.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I went from ATP to Deus about 3 years ago... and never looked back.

ATP is no slouch, if you like it, use it... but Deus is ultralight and wireless. Think of the Etrac as an old dumpy girl, and the Deus is her hot cousin from the country!

Best of luck to you sir!

OP
OP
P

PluGGLife

Dec 21, 2015
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab e-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the replies guys. I have a large neil coil for the ATP and use it from time to time. I mostly want to have a second detector so I can hunt with my cousin who is a starving college kid plus who can ever have too many :) I do like the idea of the deus. I would be open to that. I've also heard a lot about the makro racers. I will start researching both on features and characteristic to see if they fit my style. Wish there was a place in Indiana that I could try before I buy?

Thanks again

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PluGG...I was going to suggest a Nel coil for the ATP, but you have that base covered. I use the stock coil for trashy places where I don't need the depth, and strap that baby on when I hit the older spots. I myself have been looking for another/back-up detector...looking for something a little lighter than the ATP. Good luck on your sesrch..and I'm sure there are dealers who have demo models you can "test drive" before u pull the trigger...Ddf

OP
OP
P

PluGGLife

Dec 21, 2015
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab e-trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PluGG...I was going to suggest a Nel coil for the ATP, but you have that base covered. I use the stock coil for trashy places where I don't need the depth, and strap that baby on when I hit the older spots. I myself have been looking for another/back-up detector...looking for something a little lighter than the ATP. Good luck on your sesrch..and I'm sure there are dealers who have demo models you can "test drive" before u pull the trigger...Ddf

Actually I found my first gold ring at about 6 inches with the tornado coil. I would like an upgrade to the atp so if I love the atp I should really like an upgrade.

mascard1

Oct 28, 2008
SACRAMENTO CALIFORNIA
Detector(s) used
Ctx 3030...E-TRAC...EXPLORER SE...EXCALIBER II...TEJON...ELDORADO..LOBO ST...F75LTD...F70...CZ3D...XLT...T2...MXT Pro.. 1861 HALF DOLLAR
Etrac as an old dumpy girl..Are you kidding me?...The E-trac is one of the best out there..will kill a
Deus..or AT Pro in the right hands!!!

I went from ATP to Deus about 3 years ago... and never looked back.

ATP is no slouch, if you like it, use it... but Deus is ultralight and wireless. Think of the Etrac as an old dumpy girl, and the Deus is her hot cousin from the country!

Best of luck to you sir!

pearson

May 7, 2014
Gastonia, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030. Minelab 705, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the minelab ctx 3030

slick356

Feb 11, 2016
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab Ctx 3030
Minelab Etrac
Whites Dfx
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had the E trac and traded it in on a Ctx 3030. It's not even a comparison. It's superior in every way. The best feature for me is it can show 2 targets side by side. Like a rusty nail that would hide a silver coin. I have found so much on the sites that I previously hunted out with 3 other detectors.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread