What's new

Selling my 40% halves and war nickels for current melt value - FREE SHIPPING

atx_kt

Jr. Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2009
Messages
56
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0

Attachments

  • coins.webp
    coins.webp
    55.7 KB · Views: 1,194
  • coins.webp
    coins.webp
    55.7 KB · Views: 808
Upvote 0
Re: Selling my 40% halves and war nickels for current melt value

Good luck. Where are you trying to sell them?

Golden Silver
 
Re: Selling my 40% halves and war nickels for current melt value

The OP had them in the classified section of TNet. I think a more realistic option is to include the shipping if one is set on getting melt for 40%'ers. No one gets melt even if you sell to APMEX. Sure silver could and will probably go up, but it could easily go down. There has to be some upside for the buyer either in free shipping or a discount from melt.
 
I've had 4 rolls of 40's on Craigslist for a month. Right now they are priced about 20% below melt. Not one call yet.
 
Buying 40% silver for investment purposes is just not a very good idea unless you can get them way below spot in my opinion.

Refiners do not pay anywhere near spot for them because of their low silver content. The only reason they sell for as good as they do now is because some investors are buying junk bags of them like they do with 90% coins. One possible rationale for them is if silver went to zero for some reason, you would not be out as much money, since you can spend the 40% halves. I personally do not see silver dropping too much for the next 5 or more years.

If the demand for them in junk bags wanes, you will get even less when you sell them to a coin dealer in the future. The same goes for 90% silver coins. The reason the premiums are good on them is investment demand. For years dealers paid you well under spot if you sold 90%. Look at the low numbers you get for selling sterling to a dealer now and sterling is over 90% pure.

I like US silver coins, but I still feel the best buy is .999 rounds/bars if you can get them for low premiums. If you are CRHing, then 40% or 90% are great since you get them at face value.

Just my 2 cents.

Jim
 
I sold a bag to APMEX today when silver was at $20.04. I got paid $2.76 per coin, which is 93.4% of melting value. I remember that I sold to a dealer at a coin show for 95% melting value once. Never got 100% melting value for 40%ers.
 
i have not found a dealer or company yet that will buy at spot. i think spot is what they sell for only.
 
silvercop:

Did you find any company better than APMEX for large quantity?
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom