Sending gold in the mail-what is the best way? How to do it right??

makahaman

Sep 22, 2006
Northshore, Hawaiian Islands
Hi I was wondering what is the best way to send my precious metal in the mail to Midwest refineries? The post office said that I would need to show some kind of receipt or appraisal for the gold items being sent. How can I if I found it in the ocean? The reason they said that I need some kind of documentation because if it gets lost they need proof for insurance purposes. Any suggestions will be much appreciated since this is the first time for me. Thanks ;D

Upvote 0
First of all, I wouldn't use the USPS to ship anything of high value. As the clerk at the post office told me, the insurance they offer isn't worth the price you pay. Very hard to collect if your item is lost or damaged.

Ship UPS, the first $100 of insurance is free provided you put the value down as $100. No hassles on claiming your losses either. Consider this, most gun dealers ship handguns with UPS. If they were not the safest way to ship, it wouldn't be done.

FedEX or UPS is the way to go. (Or if they ever combine - FedUp). Rates are reasonable, and insurance is relatively cheap also.

A little known fact about the Postal Service - they lose on AVERAGE 10,000 letters every day. Yes its only .0001% of what is delivered... but sucks if you're one of the 10,000.

steve

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back