What's new

Seth Thomas Clock Info Needed?

brifei

Tenderfoot
Joined
Jun 24, 2026
Messages
2
Reaction score
4
Golden Thread
0
I have this Seth Thomas Clock thats been in my family for years. I am trying to find out information about it as well as value. I am trying to decide whether it is worth with being serviced and or fixed. Any information would be greatly appreciated!
 

Attachments

  • 20260624_143102.webp
    20260624_143102.webp
    447.5 KB · Views: 52
  • 20260624_143047.webp
    20260624_143047.webp
    208.7 KB · Views: 30
  • 20260624_132328.webp
    20260624_132328.webp
    861.6 KB · Views: 30
  • 20260624_132351.webp
    20260624_132351.webp
    942.3 KB · Views: 30
  • 20260624_143014.webp
    20260624_143014.webp
    602.8 KB · Views: 29
Upvote 3
I have one which had a similar mechanical movement. I wound it weekly for years. It began to lose time and adjusting did not correct it. So I took it to a watchmaker who said it could be fixed but it would be very expensive to do so. So I took the movement out and replaced it with a 1.5 volt battery powered quartz movement. The movement takes up little space in the case, keeps perfect time and requires battery replacement about once a year. No more winding and very good time keeping. The quartz movement came from a clock in yard sale that cost $2.
 
Welcome to Tnet.

Sadly, clocks like this are out of fashion. It’s a ‘Beehive’ mantel clock and at the bottom left the movement is marked ‘89AL’. The 89 series was an 8-day time-and-strike movement used by Seth Thomas between about 1916-1938 and the ‘AL’ sufffix probably more specifically puts it between about 1916 and 1921. The ‘AL’ is usually said to stand for ‘alarm’ (having a mechanical alarm mechanism alongside the standard clock and hour/half-hour strike functions) but there’s no sign of it on your clock. Perhaps that means the movement was designed to be compatible with an optional alarm if fitted.

I would think in full working order it might be worth somewhere between $100 - $200, so it may not be worthwhile getting it serviced or refurbished unless you want to use it and cherish it as a family heirloom rather than sell it. There is a market for non-working clocks wanted for spares, but you would be lucky to get more than about $50 for it in those circumstances.
 
Last edited:
Thanks for your information. I've been able to find similar clocks online but haven't found the exact style of this one with the same wood trim. Since I haven't seen the exact model I was looking to see if there is specific information on this model. Thanks!
 
I have this Seth Thomas Clock thats been in my family for years. I am trying to find out information about it as well as value. I am trying to decide whether it is worth with being serviced and or fixed. Any information would be greatly appreciated!
Nice!!! Congrats!!!
 
A cool old Clock !
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom