Seth Thomas Mantle Clock

lisawied

Dec 16, 2023
I have this Seth Thomas clock that has recently not been keeping time well. It is at the shop, needing rebuilt, but I don't know the value of the clock to determine if it is worth what they are asking (350.00). There is a sticker on the back but the ink on it has long faded away without a trace. I have looked online but I don't see any with a face like this. Does anyone know about how old it might be or what it's worth?

20220127_140516.jpg

Attachments

• 20220127_140453.jpg
    20220127_140453.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 17

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Welcome to Treasurenet !!
Many Seth Thomas clocks from 1881 to 1918 have a date code stamped in ink on the case back or bottom. Usually, the year is done in reverse, followed by a leter A-L representing the month. For example, April 1897 would appear as 7891 D.

Is there a lable inside the clock?
Don in SoCal.

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems old clocks just aren't as desirable as in the past and many can be found for less than $350.00. Being completely serviced, which can involve a lot of work if all the gear pinions need to be done. All that would make it a better clock than all the ones offered as-is out there. I buy just about every old clock I come by at the thrift stores when they're being sold for no more than 30 bucks. Most need work and that's why they're donated I assume, but I just like old clocks I guess. If you like that clock and want it running good and keeping time, I think $250-$350 for repairs is probably the going rate today. Last I got an estimate was probably more than at least 10 years ago and it was like $190.00 for a complete overhaul.

Last edited:

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems old clocks just aren't as desirable as in the past and many can be found for less than $350.00. Being completely serviced, which can involve a lot of work if all the gear pinions need to be done. All that would make it a better clock than all the ones offered as-is out there. I buy just about every old clock I come by at the thrift stores when they're being sold for no more than 30 bucks. Most need work and that's why they're donated I assume, but I just like old clocks I guess. If you like that clock and want it running good and keeping time, I think $250-$350 for repairs is probably the going rate today. Last I got an estimate was probably more than at least 10 years ago and it was like $190.00 for a complete overhaul.
I repair them myself now after inheriting quite a few clocks. Bought a couple of books and also learned by doing... trial and error? yep some of that too! Not to mention I have found a few....when fixed... at Goodwill that will sell for a pretty penny!

Last edited:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Mantle clocks rarely sell for big money-certainly not in the $350 range.
If it was a family heirloom then some consideration has to b given for that.
But to spend more than what it's worth, not a good option.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
I have this Seth Thomas clock that has recently not been keeping time well. It is at the shop, needing rebuilt, but I don't know the value of the clock to determine if it is worth what they are asking (350.00). There is a sticker on the back but the ink on it has long faded away without a trace. I have looked online but I don't see any with a face like this. Does anyone know about how old it might be or what it's worth?

View attachment 2120779
I have a Seth Thomas mantal clock that has been in our family for many years. I got used to having it strike the hours and half-hours - working at home, it helped me keep on track.

But, like yours, it died. The clock shop I took it to quoted me about the same price for a complete overhaul and new works. However, it is possible to have a modern mechanism installed for far less cost.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

OP
OP
L

lisawied

Dec 16, 2023
I have a Seth Thomas mantal clock that has been in our family for many years. I got used to having it strike the hours and half-hours - working at home, it helped me keep on track.

But, like yours, it died. The clock shop I took it to quoted me about the same price for a complete overhaul and new works. However, it is possible to have a modern mechanism installed for far less cost.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo
I somewhat like the clock because I knew what it meant to the person that left it to me. It requires winding once every 3 days and loses 5 minutes a day so the math isn't that hard (the adjusting winder is the thing that can no longer be adjusted) . But it is noisy and regardless of "after hours" it chimes twice an hour while I am trying to sleep or not. I feel I might enjoy it broke as much as I enjoyed it working lol. Regardless we've all slept better while it has been at the shop.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread