Setting up a BGT The Right Way?

Rebel73153

Aug 12, 2010
Roseburg,Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok guys, have watched a number of videos and looked at some pictures and none seem to be consistent as far as setting one up goes. Some say set it at an angle, others say set it flat. In some of them it appears the entire sluice is under water? So for you guys that use them, Kevin, Good Guy, and others, and do good, how do you set yours up? Flat, angled, slick plate partly or fully submerged. Do any of you add a piece of 1/4" screen over the grizzly to keep larger pebbles out? How about ribbed matting on the feed ramp to help break up the material? Any and all advice appreciated. Mine is supposed to be here tomorrow and i would like to get the most out of it. Thanks

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As Kevin suggests the BGT is very forgiving. Too much angle and it still traps gold, feed it too fast and it still traps gold, too deep in the water and it still traps gold, water too fast and it still traps gold.

With all that being said, the speed of the water flow is a determining factor on proper angle and feed rate. Slow flow requires more angle, and a slower feed rate, faster flow and you can flatten the angle out more and feed it faster.

Some folks like to keep a steeper angle even in fast water to help clear the grizzly. In my opinion they risk blowing out some fine gold if the angle is too steep, especially if the angle is more than 1" to the foot of sluice because not only will the material in the trap all run to one end preventing even fluidization but the extra water pressure from the steeper angle combined with the fast flow will also work against fine gold from settling to the bottom and becoming trapped.

Also its best if the outflow of the trap is above the water line, so don't submerge the whole sluice. Water should be around two inches above the slick plate for best stratification and separation as well as liquefaction of material. If a large rock has lots of dirt on it such as when running bank material and it gets hung on the grizzly allow it to wash off completely before tossing it.

Do not add any mat to the sluice it will only work against the design and slow the water flow down. Up to you whether to add a screen over the grizzly or not, some prefer it others don't.

Go for the gold,
GG~

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rebel73153

Rebel73153

Aug 12, 2010
Roseburg,Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank You G.G. for the reply and info. Guess some trial and maybe a little error is in order. Hope to get out with it soon. Take care.

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Listen to GG! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
http://www.bazookagoldtrap.com/content/BazookaInstructions.pdf

You'll get this in the box as well, around an inch per foot drop front to back, you want enough water going over the top (level side to side) to eject the washed rocks and dirts up and over (or through) the grizzlies. (Some will stick, make a hook you can pop the stuck ones up and out with, I bent a piece of stainless into a handle that hooks to the side of the sluice or the handle)
I tried the 1/4 inch screen and did not like it, it works better depending on what material you are running I hear though. (I'm good with extra cleanouts since you can dump it and reset in no time at all)
I also wouldnt personally put the ribbed matting on it, I don't want to slow anything down on mine, more dirt = more gold. I can see the attraction though, it's neat seeing gold sitting on ribbed matting after a fresh shovel full. But once you get your bazooka eye going, you will also see it dance down the top plate and disappear. Stuck forever in the gold trap until you rinse it out.
I'm jealous of y'all getting the snipers, I will probably have to wait until my name day until I get one. :D
Post lots of pics of it in action!

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
You're on the path to good gold!

OP
OP
Rebel73153

Rebel73153

Aug 12, 2010
Roseburg,Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the Link and the advice Prospector70. This will be my first experience with the Bazooka's. Hope it is a good one. I am really liking the California Sluice box Co. drop riffle i have been using. Going to take something mighty good to replace it. We shall see if the BGT is it.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the Link and the advice Prospector70. This will be my first experience with the Bazooka's. Hope it is a good one. I am really liking the California Sluice box Co. drop riffle i have been using. Going to take something mighty good to replace it. We shall see if the BGT is it.

They each have their place. But once you start using the BGT you will be hooked. :icon_thumleft:

GG~

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Like GG says, the Bazookas are soooo much less picky about setup than other sluices. I've even run mine fully underwater in a faster current and that still worked ok. Just toss it in the creek and start shoveling! You can also adjust as you go without worrying about blowing the gold out of your riffles since you ain't got none!

OP
OP
Rebel73153

Rebel73153

Aug 12, 2010
Roseburg,Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"blowing the gold out of your riffles since you ain't got none!" I hope you meant ain't got no riffles and not Gold. hahaha Howdy Kevin, i been waiting for a reply from you. Hope to give it a try soon. Take care.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
"blowing the gold out of your riffles since you ain't got none!" I hope you meant ain't got no riffles and not Gold. hahaha Howdy Kevin, i been waiting for a reply from you. Hope to give it a try soon. Take care.
lol
Good point, that was oddly ambiguous of me :) 'course I was referring to riffles, I'm sure you're good at getting on the gold!

OP
OP
Rebel73153

Rebel73153

Aug 12, 2010
Roseburg,Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If i could find an area that actually had Good gold i think i would be Better at getting on it. hahaha Wish i lived closer to you but not sure i could take the Col. gun laws. To Liberal for me.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hmm all they require is a background check, is that a problem? Lol sure hope not!

Come visit, I'll show you the gold!!

OP
OP
Rebel73153

Rebel73153

Aug 12, 2010
Roseburg,Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thought i heard they passed some new gun registration laws. Background check is No problem I been checked out by every Law Enforcement Agency in the country to get a carry permit here in Oregon

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Nope, no registration or any such. They did ban sale of clips over a certain size but they are ok to own so I guess you would just buy stuff on a trip?! Anyway, CO is still awesome :) weed is at the corner store lol and gold is in the local creek so lots of things to appeal to various folks :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread