What's new

Shades of Death Trail

BrandonR

Jr. Member
Joined
Apr 24, 2014
Messages
29
Reaction score
39
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went metal detecting in the Poconos today on the Shades of Death Trail. These are my finds. A lot of garbage and iron, 5 modern pennies, an unidentified piece of round metal, and what appears to be a large cent or half cent cut. Any ideas on that would be greatly appreciated. It is the oldest thing by far I have found so far.
20160911_161737.webp
 
Upvote 16
Looks like a large cent. No fraction under the wreath so it's 1808 -1857. If you include both sides maybe t can be narrowed down more. Is that round metal silver? If so how about a shot with less reflection?

Cheers
 
Not sure if it is silver, it is completely smooth and doesn't look like anything on it. Here are closeups of the penny.

20160911_182149.webp20160911_182159.webp
 
Looks like a slick silver to me. I'd put a loupe on it and see if you can get any details.
 
I also believe that to be a real... perhaps a pic with the light hitting it at an angle, would give us a letter or two.

Well done Bruce!
 
I agree with Scrappy on the LC. The silver looks like a possible reale, but like the rest of you guys, too much glare on the photo to tell. Congrats on the finds!
 
Side 1
1 (2).webp1 (3).webp1.webp

Side 2
2 (2).webp2 (3).webp2.webp

I know I need to be a little more careful digging my holes. But it is hard in the mountains.
 
Weigh the silver coin in grams maybe? Might be able to guess from the weight.
 
Can anyone identify it possibly yet?
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom