Shell casing question?

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
Hello everyone.

Baldingboy and I went out and hunted a couple of nights ago and found a CW bullet an IH and a lot of other stuff at a spot we hunted. I found this shell casing and it is perplexing me just a little.

The bottom of the shell says WESTERN 1918. The casing has a perfect hole through it as you can see in the picture, it is the same on both sides and it looks like someone has cut the shell since the edge shows saw marks. Sorry don't have a picture of the end here at work, have one at home I can post later. So anyone have an ideas how old this is and why it would have the holes in it like it does?

Thanks

Attachments

• west.jpg
    west.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 567
  • westside.jpg
    westside.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 373
  • west.jpg
    west.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 375
  • westside.jpg
    westside.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 327

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
http://oldguns.net/catammo.htm

11803 U.S. WW1 BANDOLEER OF .30-06 (WESTERN 1918) - Full original bandoleer of 60 rounds in 5 round stripper clips with headstamp WESTERN 1918 with the ring crimp on the primer pocket. Ammo is mostly nasty looking with white powder and green corrosion, and definitely not safe to shoot. Bandoleer is pretty good with just a couple of stains (probably from corrosion from ammo leaking out). Lot No. S-30 stenciled on the front, with lot card in pocket indicating manufacture December 2, 1918. Card is very fragile and has been placed in plastic envelope for protection. Any WW1 bandoleer is getting increasingly hard to find. $85.00

11803[1].jpg

Upvote 0

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
The hole is most likely so that that bullet can be attached to that key chain.

Upvote 0

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Ant said:
The hole is most likely so that that bullet can be attached to that key chain.

Thats correct Anthony, I agree. I've seen tons of "bullet" keychains.

... or as with many rounds I used for training my troops, holes to indicate training "dummy rounds"?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
mastereagle22

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
Sorry bad picture on my part it is all I have here at work. The keys and the shell casing were not found in the same area. They were about 100 yards apart. The shell casing was actually found where an old alley used to be but it is now a concrete sidewalk with grass on both sides. I found the casing about 5 inches down right next to the sidewalk.

Upvote 0

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Western was a brand name use by Winchester as in Winchester Western. Looks like a .45 ACP case to me. Possibly run over by a lawnmower? Monty

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread