What's new

Shell Gorgets????

Neogeo

Bronze Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2009
Messages
1,657
Reaction score
287
Golden Thread
0
Location
Austin T.X.
These were found by my best friend Eli along with some broken tools.They were surface found very near to each other.I have never seen anything like them,and I am baffled.The holes are rough but there seems to be some were around the inside of the holes...Single knot Gorgets preforms???Needless to say when I am feelin stronger we are goin back asap!













The holes seem to match up too...
 
Upvote 0
They look like net weights.
I have many just the same.
That style seemed to be associated with mostly archaic sites in my area.
 
Last edited:
All the net weights I have here are limestone.....and the size of the shell is huge,never seen ones that large.....Thanx for thin input......Ya gotta love this stuff...LOL..
 
I'll post some photos later on they even have the notches
 
Cool I would love to see'em,I have some pretty sweet stone one as well...I will try to hunt up some pix.....Thanx G.B
 
My pleasure I might as well just start a thread of net weights.. please chip in.
I'll post here first.
 
I found some large mussell shells once that had button blanks drilled out of them and had several holes in each. Sight unseen a friend tried to convince me they were shell gorkets. I found these close to a defunct shed near an old house place on a camp site. Kept them cause they were "neat".
 
So how you holding up? Im not much help with shell artifacts.
 
Weinstein-2002-Fig-9-9-sm.webp



Weinstein-2002-Fig-9-10-sm.webp
 
Jinx....LOL..I just found my way there too...LOL


Doin better every day Bro....Thanx.
 
Ok ...So from what I have gathered.it was a spoon or other shell tool.A stick was inserted into the hole then corked with pitch.So I am thinking that the discolored patch was left like a stain...what are your thoughts?
 
No.. that's another thing all together.
These are net weights.
 
I believe they used them like a hoe or shovel with the stick as the handle.
 
If anyone would know about shell that would be Gator so I would listen to him.:icon_thumright:
 
Thank you for the kind words... it probably won't be long before professor Shellman shows up.
(TomClark)
 
Here's a few different style examples

ForumRunner_20140123_193708.webp



ForumRunner_20140123_193738.webp



ForumRunner_20140123_193752.webp



ForumRunner_20140123_193805.webp
 
Hey Neo :hello: Hope all is going well.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom