What's new

Shell Pile Find!

BeachComber7

Sr. Member
Joined
May 12, 2012
Messages
462
Reaction score
66
Golden Thread
0
Location
Treasure Coast-Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer and Tesoro deLeon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this in a shell pile today at the beach! It's a nice old horse tooth!
 

Attachments

  • horse tooth.webp
    horse tooth.webp
    27.2 KB · Views: 160
  • horse tooth (4).webp
    horse tooth (4).webp
    14.8 KB · Views: 132
  • horse tooth (3).webp
    horse tooth (3).webp
    65.1 KB · Views: 137
  • horse tooth (2).webp
    horse tooth (2).webp
    26.1 KB · Views: 135
Nice find...the next couple days should be real good for fossils with the south wind. Then the swell from the soon to be hurricane should start to show up by the weekend.the surf websites are calling for a peak on Sunday of ten feet. That should stir things up.
 
Ten feet will definitely stir things up!
 
Very cool find!
 
Thanks Mike. I found another one today but it is much smaller and square, so I think it is an upper molar or tooth.
Have you been out lately?

horse tooth fossil upper cheek.webpHorse tooth fossil upper.webp
 
Thanks Mike. I found another one today but it is much smaller and square, so I think it is an upper molar or tooth.
Have you been out lately?

Both teeth, the first and this latest find, appear to be upper Equus sp. teeth. While Equus in other regions may be slightly older (Late Pliocene), in Florida they are usually Pleistocene (less than 2 Ma). [Ma = Mega anna or million years]
horseequusgroupupper.webp horseequusgroupuplower.webp​
 
So Harry, is that about 2 million years old or a tad less? Thanks for looking at the pics. Though I understand these are 'common' finds
on the treasure coast, I comb those shell piles a lot and these are my first two.
 
He is just using scientific words when you probably wont know what he is talking about. Its a horse...just an early one obviously.
 
Last edited:
Between two Ma and 10 Ka . . . it's impossible to say with isolated float teeth (impossible for me, anyway). [float = without any taphonomic context]

I understand that the thrill of discovery is relative to the experience of the finder. I just don't always remember that axiom. :hello:
 
That's a good one... Alot of people are very happy they have not lost that thrill.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom