SHELL SHOCKED!!!...AGAIN AND AGAIN!!!..Initial cleaning....more pics

gxray

Jan 30, 2009
Today I decided to hunt a new field where I knew there was some Civil War activity. What a day it was. I found a shell fragment in the first few minutes, then started my ever-widening circles around the fragment to try to find more pieces. No luck. I moved on and started finding more shell fragments. Then i got a low , rather large hum on the Nautilus and began to dig. After a foot or so down the signal got stronger and stronger. I continued to dig and widen the hole. Now I'm down about 18 inches and finally I hear that scraping sound of hitting iron. I was halfway expecting another shell fragment but this one was larger and longer. I continued to expand the hole and dig around the object until I realized what I had in the hole. A complete unexploded 10 pounder parrot shell. I carefully and methodically dug around and beneath the shell until I finally got it loose enough to lift out of the hole. I pulled it out of the hole and let me tell you ...I was freakin stoked!!! Other than solid shot cannonballs and shell frags, this was the first "live" unexploded fused shell I've ever found in over 27 yrs of hunting relics. I carried the shell back to my Jeep and returned to the area and hunted some more. I found a few more fragments and about that time a truck pulls up next to me in the field. The man in the truck asked me if I had found anything and I replied "yes". After a brief chat and introduction , it turns out he is another relic hunter and a member of TNET. I showed him the shell and frags I had found and he took some pics of it with his cell phone. I welcomed him to hunt with me and he did. He and I both had permission from the property owner to hunt this site. He headed out in the field and I told him I would hunt 30 more minutes before I would take a break for lunch. On my way back to the Jeep , I got a strong mixed iron and non-ferrous signal and started digging. I'm over a foot down in the dirt and finally I hit iron. A little more digging around the object and once again , i realized what i had in the hole ...the unmistakable white lead sabot around it confirmed it . i jumped up and signaled my new relic hunting friend to come here and watch me dig up another shell. He promptly headed over and I asked him to snap a few pics of the excavation. He was as excited as I was . Once again , I carefully dug around the shell and got it loose. I pulled it out and we both smiled. It was perfectly intact. This shell is about 4 inches in diameter but I'm not sure right now of which type it is. By this time , I am starving and went for food. I returned about 20 mins later and my new relic hunting buddy had found a few frags...funny thing is , he found the base of both a parrot shell and the base of the other type of shell I had found. Another hour or two of hunting and we both were ready to call it a day. we both found a lot of iron, some case shot , assorted brass whatsits , I found half a parrot fuse and pieces of lead sabot , etc. He and I agreed to get together again for some more hunts in the near future .
As I headed home , I stopped at a site we had discovered yesterday. I hunted about 30 mins and found an eagle "I' cuff button and a Sharps carbine bullet. I bought some celebratory beer and snapped a few photos and now I'm tired and writing this post. Tomorrow is another day of hunting ...stay tuned ...

UPDATE: I cleaned the shells up a bit and spoke with Harry Ridgeway of Winchester VA about disarming the parrot shell. I may have him do it for me. After that I will do a final cleaning and add more pics. I didn't clean around the fuse of the parrot shell for obvious reasons, The other shell is a 4 inch Hotchkiss bolt as there appears to be no fuse. I'll have to reply to this post to add the pics...scroll down for updated pics.

thanks for looking and reading this long post and HH y'all

Attachments

• shell.jpg
    shell.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 1,161
  • shell1.jpg
    shell1.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 1,160
  • shell2.jpg
    shell2.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 1,163
  • 2ndshell2.jpg
    2ndshell2.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 1,158
  • 2ndshell1.jpg
    2ndshell1.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 1,164
  • 2ndshell.jpg
    2ndshell.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 1,166
  • 2ndshell3.jpg
    2ndshell3.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 1,158
  • 2ndshell4.jpg
    2ndshell4.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 1,153
  • DSC00026.JPG
    DSC00026.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 1,143
  • DSC00027.JPG
    DSC00027.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 1,152
  • DSC00029.JPG
    DSC00029.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 1,152
  • DSC00028.JPG
    DSC00028.JPG
    45 KB · Views: 1,144
Upvote 0
OP
OP
G

gxray

Jan 30, 2009
Re: SHELL SHOCKED!!!...AGAIN AND AGAIN!!!

more pics with initial cleaning

Attachments

• DSC00030.JPG
    DSC00030.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 1,121
  • DSC00031.JPG
    DSC00031.JPG
    28.8 KB · Views: 1,120
  • DSC00032.JPG
    DSC00032.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 1,109
  • DSC00034.JPG
    DSC00034.JPG
    26.6 KB · Views: 1,097
  • DSC00033.JPG
    DSC00033.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 1,110
  • DSC00035.JPG
    DSC00035.JPG
    29.9 KB · Views: 1,094
  • DSC00004.JPG
    DSC00004.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 472
  • DSC00005.JPG
    DSC00005.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 469
  • DSC00006.JPG
    DSC00006.JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 462

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Sucker was deep, nice finds. :icon_thumright:

2bits

Nov 19, 2009
Detector(s) used
One to many
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice, very nice! HH
Doc

incajoe

May 17, 2007
New England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS

Wow, great finds! 2 in one day is amazing! The second one looks like a Hotchkiss.

mikelam

Mar 10, 2010
Goldsboro N.C.
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMCII/Tesoro Cibola

AWESOME !!!! Clean them already LOL !!!!! Congrats man. :notworthy:

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola

Wow A great day. The 2nd shell is a Hotchkiss. Some of them have the date on the bottom. The bottom is a cup shaped piece that is held onto the nose by the lead sabot. By the shape of the nose that one looks like it might be a bolt (solid shell)
I'm not sure I've ever seen a Hotchkiss bolt before. I would hit that place hard.

incajoe

May 17, 2007
New England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS

vayank54 said:
Wow A great day. The 2nd shell is a Hotchkiss. Some of them have the date on the bottom. The bottom is a cup shaped piece that is held onto the nose by the lead sabot. By the shape of the nose that one looks like it might be a bolt (solid shell)
I'm not sure I've ever seen a Hotchkiss bolt before. I would hit that place hard.
Hotchkiss definitely made bolts. I've found several....

Jason in TN

Bronze Member
Oct 29, 2004
East Tennessee

A two sell day that is sweet. I have yet to find any whole ones in my 10 years of relic hunting.
I vote banner.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Jason in TN said:
A two shell day that is sweet. I have yet to find any whole ones in my 10 years of relic hunting.
I vote banner.

I have yet to find one in 18 years of relic hunting on CW sites in 3 different states. I'm voting banner too.

The recovery photos are Wonderful. Thank you so much for sharing these great finds with us here.

Best Wishes,

Buckles

brnn53

Mar 31, 2006
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug, Tejon, T2 LTD, F75, & Nautilus DMC II B
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

WTG Man! Thats one awesome hunt day! Gotta love the Naughty for finding those deep shells. Show us the after electroysis pics. Congrats!
Mike

OP
OP
G

gxray

Jan 30, 2009

brnn53 said:
WTG Man! Thats one awesome hunt day! Gotta love the Naughty for finding those deep shells. Show us the after electroysis pics. Congrats!
Mike
thanks...I will have them professionally disarmed and cleaned. I'm afraid to try to clean them since they are "live". anyone know anyone local that does this?(eastern NC)

incajoe

May 17, 2007
New England
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS

gxray said:
brnn53 said:
Mike
thanks...I will have them professionally disarmed and cleaned. I'm afraid to try to clean them since they are "live". anyone know anyone local that does this?(eastern NC)
This is a great resource and will get you pointed in the right direction.
http://www.cwpforums.com/forum/

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That whole shell you have there is a HOTCHKISS shell and is a beautiful projectile! Way to go, I've been lucky enough

to dig some in the past as well and had an old friend who dug about 20 of them! Congrats and it IS a banner find! :wink:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions