What's new

Shield with no name

kyphote

Hero Member
Joined
Jan 12, 2010
Messages
585
Reaction score
52
Golden Thread
0
Location
Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, GPX 4800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A friend found this shield at a 1700s estate in VA. Any ideas? Haven't come across anything like it and can't begin to guess. Thanks! ;D
 

Attachments

  • whatsitshield2.webp
    whatsitshield2.webp
    57.6 KB · Views: 749
I've never seen one exactly like that but have seen some similar dug at precivil war house sites. It's probably a horse harness decoration. It's possible it could have had something engraved in the flat area. A cool find though.
 
Upvote 0
vayank54 said:
I've never seen one exactly like that but have seen some similar dug at precivil war house sites. It's probably a horse harness decoration. It's possible it could have had something engraved in the flat area. A cool find though.

it is, & an early one at that! late 18th C off the top of my head
 
Upvote 0
jdsarasin8194 said:
did you try cleaning the front??? maby something will show up :dontknow:

no the plating has come off, what you see is the lead-alloy core.
 
Upvote 0
CRUSADER said:
jdsarasin8194 said:
did you try cleaning the front??? maby something will show up :dontknow:

no the plating has come off, what you see is the lead-alloy core.
no because I am not that informed about that kind of stuff.. :dontknow:
 
Upvote 0
Hi all Just found this site a couple months ago.....I have a shield very close to this one,Only thing is Mine was found here in Nevada,Ive been wanting to get a pic of it on here to ask what it is but all I have is a cell phone for pictures I will see If I can get it on here I'd like to kow what it is also.
 
Upvote 0
Sorry to take so long but this is the best picture I could get
This one has a little gold plating left on it ,but think the pins in the back would have been too small for a horse harness
 

Attachments

  • 0330001233.webp
    0330001233.webp
    3.2 KB · Views: 474
  • 0330001212.webp
    0330001212.webp
    5.1 KB · Views: 464
Upvote 0
Sklybones said:
Sorry to take so long but this is the best picture I could get
This one has a little gold plating left on it ,but think the pins in the back would have been too small for a horse harness
Looks just like it! The back of mine is lead filled whereas yours appears hollow, but that's it. Drop me a line if you ever identify it and I'll do the same. Thanks for posting. :icon_thumright:
 
Upvote 0
Heres another pic hope it helps someone.
 

Attachments

  • 007.webp
    007.webp
    52.1 KB · Views: 385
Upvote 0
:hello: kyphote
I found one similar to yours i believe this is what you're shield would look like ?
Mine was found in an 1870's - 1914 picnic grove beside an old dirt road a
couple hundred feet from an mid 1700's church
I'm sure vayank54 has it right horse harness decoration maybe a rosette ?
CRUSADER agreed with him An i'll third it ;D
Here's a photo like yours with my find and a nickel Mine is 1 3/16 inch high
IMG_7177_2.webp
Front
IMG_7175_2.webp
Back with wire attachments
IMG_7176_2.webp

good luck diggin
 
Upvote 0
Wow 3 the same! It does appear to be horse decoration from the back.
 
Upvote 0
Ok guess I was wrong on the horse decoration, the pins on the back didnt look strong enough the 2 pins on mine were brass which I broke the last pin off when getting the last picture,,but does anyone have a clue as to what would have been on the front..
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Replies
5
Views
973
  • Question Question
🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Pre civil war?
Replies
6
Views
578

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom