shipwreck index / 1000s of wrecks listed

lobsterman

Jan 8, 2005
Maine
shipwreck index / 1000's of wrecks listed

i just got a copy of a great book by way of an inter- library loan, if you have an interest in shipwrecks, then you have got to check out this book, it has about 18,000 shipwrecks listed in alphabetical order, it is a rare and very expensive book set ( 2 volumes ), ( and you won't find it on ebay, i already checked ;) ).the title is...

" Dictionary of disasters at sea, during the age of steam " including sailing ships and ships of war lost in action 1824 - 1962, by Charles Hocking, 800 pages in 2 vol. set, 1969,

i have only got the 1'st vol. so far, but you can bet i'll be getting the 2'nd ;D

this is by far, the best compilation of wrecks that i have ever seen :) .

Pat.

OP
OP
lobsterman

lobsterman

Jan 8, 2005
Maine
Re: shipwreck index / 1000's of wrecks listed

thanks DKD :), i appreciate the link, i thought it was in french till i clicked on the links, i just wish that i could afford the hard copy books they would be a great reference to own.

Pat.

O

oldfart

I bought these from Lloyds nearly 30 years ago when I had a salvage company, read carefully the criteria on which the wrecks are included. A lot of small wrecks 500 to 1000 tons are unlisted unless loss of life occurred and since the instigators were Lloyds of London certain high value cargo wrecks are also excluded for obvious reasons.
If you require specific wrecks I still have my copies of both volumes here.

OP
OP
lobsterman

lobsterman

Jan 8, 2005
Maine

Has the John Barry been salvaged ?, not that i'd ever get a chance, but 26 million $ in silver would seem to be a nice target for someone to set their sites on ;). or was stalin's treasures that were supposed to be on board a myth ?, something makes me think i read somewhere that they were sank in a lake to hide them ???

Pat.

modrian

Dec 8, 2003

The Barry was salvaged some time ago by The Ocean Group- they used a massive claw to pull apart the wreck and bring up the silver- there's a great book about it, but it's at home so I can't pass on the name. Here's a site that documents it with images and options to buy some of the coins.

http://www.seaandsilver.com/gallery.asp

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread