Shipwreck off Spanish coast. Hypothetical Cost Inquiry.

Indiana Croft

Dec 20, 2023
Hypothetical Cost Inquiry for Shipwreck Exploration off Spanish coast âš“

Greetings Fellow Shipwreck Enthusiasts!

I'm curious about potential costs for a two stage situation related to a shipwreck exploration & salvage off the Spanish coast in International Waters.

Suppose there was a need to gauge the expenses involved in hiring a boat & crew to deploy an Autonomous Underwater Vehicle (AUV) to survey and scan a shipwreck nestled at a depth of 1km. The aim would be to assess the wreck's condition, orientation etc. Could anyone share estimates or insights into the potential costs?

And then a stage two, costs linked to salvaging the contents of the shipwreck. So a salvage boat, equipment & crew. I guess the equipment needed on the salvage boat would vary depending on the wrecks orientation & condition? But I’m curious of estimates.

Any ideas?
Indiana 🤠

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Before you do any of that, you may wish to first research whether or not the vessel was owned by or under lease to a government who may lien all your salvaged goods, using the reasoning that they never abandoned the vessel--or it's still government property, both the vessel and its contents. Have you determined there are no other valid potential claimants to the ship and/or it's cargo?
Don in SoCal.

Magoopeter

Jan 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
underwater
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
2002 AVU just back from 3000 meters of the Bay of Biscay, pin stuck on release rope, had to go for a swim. There is a group of people who could help you, some are members of the site, need more information, willing to sign NDA, PM me if interested, if Hypothetical no need, all the best

Attachments

• DSCN0922#001.jpg
    DSCN0922#001.jpg
    352 KB · Views: 10

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
Deep pockets amigo Deep pockets. the deeper the wreck the deeper the pockets.

Sounds to me hypothetically your target is the The P&O liner SS Egypt sank in the Bay of Biscay after colliding with the French ship SS Seine in 1922. She took down with her over 1 million pounds worth of gold and silver ingots and many wooden boxes of gold sovereigns. Fifteen passengers and 71 crewmen lost their lives during the sinking.

hypothetically the gold and silver may or may not be there still. The site had been located by no agreement as far was i am aware of came to poss.

But it is been claimed the salvage company may moved the gold to wet storage until a change in British policy on shipwreck salvage is favorable again to salvage companies again. The British government had a list of ships that wanted to deep water salvage as part of ships of commodity value. The two principle salvage companies American odyssey and British hedge fund backed group deep water Recoveries.recoveries.

There other wrecks in the bay of Biscay are of value.

Anyway merry Christmas

Crow

Last edited:

grantler

Jan 11, 2004
near munich
Detector(s) used
Goldpic,XP ,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I'm not mistaken, you can find some more information about the gold of the SS Egypt's Gold in the book:
The Egypt's Gold by David Scott from 1932
1703254339460.jpeg

1703254508101.jpeg

1703254533397.jpeg

1703254384305.jpeg
1703254361585.jpeg

Crow

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
If I'm not mistaken, you can find some more information about the gold of the SS Egypt's Gold in the book:
The Egypt's Gold by David Scott from 1932
View attachment 2121582
View attachment 2121585
View attachment 2121586
View attachment 2121584 View attachment 2121583
Thanks granter you are not mistaken. I mixed up vessels unintentionally. Some time I have to fact check my poor memory.

There is an japanse transport submarine and another vessel dating back to 1864 the name escapes me at present. But aparently it had diamonds onboard..
The Bay of Biscay is prone for rough weather large swells so for oginsl poster.

Best br budgeting for ship and not a boat there. And many days the weather is too rough. Those delays cost money.

Just a few that things springs to mind.

Hey its christmas or near enough

Crow

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread