What's new

Shipwreck parts?

Madmox

Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2014
Messages
653
Reaction score
998
Golden Thread
0
I was working a beach today where a ship went aground and broke up in 1860 and found these. Anyone know what the large pieces are? The bronze nails are definitely from the wreck. I was thinking one may be an anchor fluke but the threaded pivot in the center throws me off. IMG_20181222_1854111.webpIMG_20181222_1854045.webpIMG_20181222_1854229.webpIMG_20181222_1853247.webp
 
First picture resembles a vintage bronze folding propeller.
 
Upvote 0
To me, the first picture seems like it might have something to do with hydraulics. (?)
You can still see what looks to be a gasket on the bottom threaded piece.
 
Upvote 0
The first picture reminds me of some kind of electric cut-off or switch.
 
Upvote 0
well the material is right for marine use, but that doesn't really prove anything...i have been fooled by such brass and bronze things from a beach before only to find out they were not nautical at all.
 
Upvote 0
I have to say detecting the beach where parts of shipwrecks wash ashore sounds pretty freakin cool.
 
Upvote 0
OK. We figured out what the big fluke looking piece is. It's a guy anchor for a power pole. And I even work for a utility company. [emoji849] one of my coworkers even thinks he knows which pole it came from. It's up on the bluffs above the beach. It's possible the second part may be off the same pole. Maybe a fuse disconnect but might need a lineman to really know.
 
Upvote 0
Congrats Madmox, nice finds!

I believe pic 1 right is a regulating valve from a steam engine. Please remove more of the concretions from the other item and show us again with some size reference?

Best wishes!
 
Upvote 0
The center piece looks to me to be part of the PTO on some sort of machne.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom